Brazil football legend Pele has re-entered an intensive care unit at Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital but his daughter has reassured fans that he is ‘recovering well’.
The Brazilian was readmitted in an apparent deterioration of his health after he left the unit earlier this week. The hospital said it had no new information.
ESPN Brasil said Pele, an 80-year-old, three-time World Cup winner, was re-admitted to the ICU due to acid reflux. He had a colon tumour removed this month and was transferred out of the ICU on Tuesday.
Brazil legend Pele has re-entered an intensive care unit at Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital
On Friday night, his daughter Kely Nascimento took to Instagram with a photo of the pair to reassure fans that Pele was already on the road to recovery and has taken ‘two steps forward’.
In the post she wrote: ‘There’s already a lot of anxiety roaming the world these days and we don’t want to be the reason for more.
‘This photo was taken just now. He is wearing a vest because he is Santista [a person from Santos] and the cold in SP [Sao Paulo] bothers him!
‘He is recovering well and within normal range. Promise!
‘He doesn’t like it when I say this so please don’t tell him but he is an O’Keefe [kind or gentle] gentleman. The normal recovery scenario for a man of his age, after an operation like this , is sometimes two steps forward and one step back.
‘Yesterday he was tired and took a little step back. Today he took two forwards!
‘I want to thank again, and always, the brilliant team here at Einstein and even more gratitude for all of the good energy that you are transmitting.’
His daughter Kely Nascimento (left) posted a photo of them with Pele smiling on a hospital bed
After leaving the ICU on Tuesday, Pele said in a message to fans on Instagram that he was ready for ’90 minutes, plus extra time.’
‘My friends, with each passing day I feel a little better. I’m looking forward to playing again, but I’m still going to recover for a few more days,’ he wrote.
‘While I’m here, I take the opportunity to talk a lot with my family and to rest. Thanks again for all the loving messages. We’ll be together again soon!’
Pele shared a photo of himself smiling after he was moved out of intensive care post-surgery
Pele’s public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.
The former Santos forward has struggled with health issues for several years.
He required surgery on his prostate in 2015, having been admitted to hospital twice in the space of six months.
In 2019, he was admitted again for a urinary infection – and in February of last year, his son Edinho said Pele was reluctant to leave the house because of hip issues.
Plagued by health issues in recent years, Pele now uses a wheelchair during his public outings
‘He is very sheepish, reclusive,’ he said. ‘Imagine, he’s the King, he was always such an imposing figure and today he can’t walk properly.
‘He’s embarrassed, he doesn’t want to go out, be seen, or do practically anything that involves leaving the house.’
Pele has been made to use walkers and wheelchairs to move around during his sparse public appearances in recent years, after a failed hip replacement in 2012.
The former Santos had become reclusive and is embarrassed to be seen using a wheelchair
After winning the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cup with Brazil, Pele remains an all-time great, and is his country’s top goalscorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.
The footballing great was only recently overtaken as the top international goal scorer in South American history, when Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick for Argentina in their World Cup qualifier last week.
Messi has recorded his huge tally in 153 caps for Argentina, while Pele netted his 77 goals in 92 official matches for Brazil.
All-time great Pele has won the World Cup three times and is his country’s leading goalscorer
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast