A father has issued a dire warning to fellow parents about hot tubs after his son was ‘sucked into a filter’ and left unconscious.
Alex Williams, from Shrewsbury, Shropshire, told how young Harry had been enjoying the tub last Sunday when he was suddenly pulled beneath the water by a filter outlet.
Thankfully his family witnessed the incident, but it took three men to release him and pull his to the surface.
Harry was unconscious and required CPR before he was airlifted to
Alex Williams, from Shrewsbury, Shropshire, told how young Harry had been enjoying the tub last Sunday when he was suddenly pulled beneath the water by a filter outlet (pictured in hospital)
He also shared shocking photos of Harry in hospital receiving treatment, showing his badly bruised back as well as cuts across his body.
‘Safety warning to all parents!!’ he began the post. ‘On Sunday our son Harry was using a hot tub when he was sucked under by a filter outlet within the tub.
‘This filter outlet is covered partially but there is a large rectangular hole which takes in the water and sends it to the filter and Harry was sucked into this outlet and could not escape.
‘Family were in full view and as soon as this occurred they immediately rushed to his assistance and it took three men to release him from the suction despite the tub being turned off straight away. When he was pulled out he was unconscious and CPR was started.
Harry was unconscious and required CPR before he was airlifted to Birmingham Children’s hospital
‘Harry was airlifted to Birmingham Children’s hospital where he received brilliant treatment both on the journey and during his recovery where he was monitored over a period of days.
‘Fortunately Harry is now home and on the mend however had he not been rescued from the tub so quickly and the treatment been so good he may not be here today.
‘If anyone has or are thinking of buying hot tubs, spas or pools please ensure they are safe to use, are checked regularly and children are being watched at all times as stated in the units user manual.
‘You do not expect something that is so enjoyable to turn out to be life threatening however this can be the case. Please please be aware and be careful, I do not want this to happen to another family where there might be a worse outcome.’
Alex then shared an update a week later explaining that trading standards have been informed and BISHTA – the trade association that represents the British and Irish Hot Tub and Swim Spa Industry – is currently taking this forward.
Alex then shared an update a week later explaining that trading standards have been informed and BISHTA – the trade association that represents the British and Irish Hot Tub and Swim Spa Industry – is currently taking this forward. Pictured: Harry a week after the ordeal
He added that Harry is making a ‘brilliant recovery’ and shared photos to show how much he has improved.
‘Thank you for so many messages and posts wishing Harry a speedy recovery, there are far too many to respond to,’ he said.
‘Our children are our world and this has been a horrible time however we do not want this to happen again to anyone hence the post. I’m sure most tubs and spas are safe however this obviously should not happen so please where a child is playing in water please watch at all times.’
Alex’s post racked up more than 45,000 shares and thousands of comments, with one horrified parent writing: ‘ Omg, bless him. Well done to all you parents who acted so swiftly and saved his life. Speedy recovery little love.’
‘Who knew they could be this dangerous,’ wrote another, while a third added: ‘Frightening, thank god you were all there to help him.’
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast