He took the two-hour flight, which could have emitted as much as ten tonnes of CO2, shortly after he was pictured on horseback at the polo.
Prince Harry has landed in Santa Barbara after taking his millionaire friend’s private jet home just months after lecturing about climate change
The campaigning royal, 36, boarded the 20-seater £45million plane from Aspen, Colorado, to his home in Santa Barbara, California, on Thursday
Harry made a surprise appearance alongside his close friend Nacho Figueras by hosting a charity polo tournament in Colorado for his Sentebale charity yesterday
He took the two-hour flight, which could have emitted as much as ten tonnes of CO2, shortly after he was pictured on horseback at the polo
The Gulfstream jet is understood to belong to one of Harry’s polo friends, Marc Ganzi, according to
After touching down in Santa Babara, Harry was rushed into the car and headed back to his mansion in Montecito with Meghan and their two children.
It comes just three months after Harry said climate change was one of ‘the most pressing issues we are facing’.
Speaking to Oprah Winfrey on Apple TV, he said: ‘With kids growing up in today’s world, pretty depressing, right, depending on where you live, your home country is either on fire, it’s either underwater, houses or forests are being flattened.’
Harry previously attracted criticism for taking four private jet flights in 11 days, including to a climate change summit in Sicily.
The Gulfstream jet is understood to belong to one of Harry’s polo friends, the American businessman Marc Ganzi
Harry’s jet jaunt comes just three months after Harry said climate change was one of ‘the most pressing issues we are facing’
After touching down in Santa Babara, Harry was rushed into the car and headed back to his mansion in Montecito with Meghan and their two children
Royal author Tom Quinn said after his latest private jet trip: ‘This appears to be enormously hypocritical, given all his talk about climate change.
‘Harry seems to see himself as someone who guides the rest of the world and that his own behaviour isn’t relevant. It is a huge blind spot.’
MailOnline has contacted Harry’s representatives for comment.
Earlier, Harry, who shares his passion for polo with Prince William and Prince Charles, looked in his element as he galloped up and down the pitch at the ISPS Handa Polo Cup tournament in Aspen alongside close friend Nacho Figueras, the Argentine star dubbed the ‘David Beckham of polo’.
The match was held to benefit his Sentebale charity, which he co-founded and which helps vulnerable young people in Lesotho and southern Africa.
Polo is popular with the royals and with the super-rich, with both Prince William and Harry playing polo matches in the past, often with the Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex watching from the sidelines.
The polo match was held to benefit his Sentebale charity, which he co-founded and which helps vulnerable young people in Lesotho and southern Africa
Harry appeared in Aspen one day after it was revealed he planned to restart more in-person charity work through the Archewell Foundation
From the £6,000 kit to the £100,000 horses: How Polo is the most expensive sport to play
- Glasses: £200
- Knee pads: £300
- Helmet: £250 – £500
- Saddle: £1,200
- Bridle and Bit: £300
- Overgirth: £45
- Breastplate side buckles: £69
- Boots: £600
- Gloves: £100
- White jeans: £240
- Mallet: £120
- Whip: £30
- Belt: £35
- Stirrups: £35
CLUB MEMBERSHIP AND COSTS
- Membership: £1,500 a year upwards
- Tournament entry: £400 per team
- Chukka membership (for those who don’t play in tournaments): £750 a year upwards
PONY AND PONY CARE
- Pony: £15,000 to £100,000
- Livery: £1,200/month (for two horses per month)
- Transport of ponies: £35,000 upwards for a lorry, with charges for each trip
- Horse hire: £75 upwards for each seven-minute
Harry appeared in Aspen one day after it was revealed he planned to restart more in-person charity work through the Archewell Foundation.
The duke scored two goals as the Sentebale team ran out 3-0 winners in a round-robin format with two other sides – and the charity said it had raised nearly £2.6million ($3.5million) which is a new record for the tournament.
The tournament was smaller than in previous years due to Covid-19 restrictions – but Harry pledged to donate £1.1million ($1.5million) to it from the proceeds of his upcoming memoir.
The outdoor sports match was held to raise funds for the charity’s work supporting vulnerable children in southern Africa who are impacted by extreme poverty, inequality and the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
His public appearance – the first since his daughter
The Duke was joined by Sentebale Ambassador and Argentine polo player, Nacho Figueras, as he played on the Sentebale Team against the Royal Salute and US Polo Association Teams.
Harry had also made a brief appearance a fortnight ago, juggling in the background of a video released by Meghan on 4th August to celebrate her 40th birthday alongside actress Melissa McCarthy.
Despite calls for privacy, Mr Scobie had said on Wednesday that the Sussexes will enter a new ‘era of visibility’ this autumn, with a more ‘intentionally public’ life, adding: ‘They’re a couple who do very well in those moments of human interaction.’
The couple are said to be gearing up for a busy few months and are ‘really excited’. Mr Scobie added: ‘They need to be on the ground… they say that the proof is in the pudding, and what we are about to see is that pudding.’
Sentebale said the tournament ‘serves as the single largest fundraising moment for the organisation to advance its mission on behalf of young people in need in Lesotho and Botswana’.
Harry, who is the co-founding patron of the charity, said: ‘Our refocused mission at Sentebale is about addressing the most-immediate needs of vulnerable children in Southern Africa, helping them access vital health services, receive necessary care, and build skills to be more resilient and self-sufficient in the future’.
‘We are incredibly grateful to our gracious hosts in Aspen, to ISPS Handa and the many other sponsors, and to everyone involved in making this year’s match not only possible—but most importantly, as safe as possible for the protection of donors, players, staff, and the entire community.
‘The Sentebale Polo Cup is critical to securing the funds needed to advance this important mission, and I’m thrilled to be able to support Sentebale, both in person and financially through a separate charitable donation to meet this immediate need.
‘This is one of several donations I plan to make to charitable organisations and I’m grateful to be able to give back in this way for the children and communities who gravely need it.’
Prince Harry made a surprise appearance alongside his close friend Nacho Figueras by hosting a charity polo tournament in Colorado for his Sentebale charity yesterday
Harry appeared in high spirits as he mounted a horse for the tournament at the Aspen Valley Polo Club yesterday
Harry was seen embracing his longtime friend Argentinian polo star Nacho Figueras yesterday
Nacho Figueras posted a photo of him and Harry on social media yesterday (above). Nacho has been called the ‘David Beckham’ of polo
Harry was all smiles as he took to the field decked out in all his polo gear yesterday – and gone is his woke California facade
Harry and Meghan are pictured during their AppleTV appearance last month
A spokesman for Sentebale said: ‘Like many charities, we understand how much the pandemic has impacted communities everywhere.
‘This match has always been the single largest fundraising opportunity for Sentebale, and because last year’s Polo Cup was postponed and this year’s was significantly and rightfully reduced in size and scope, the organisation is in need of further support to continue its mission.
‘To help meet this need, The Duke is donating his time as well as honouring his personal commitment to donate a portion of his proceeds from his upcoming memoir by generously committing $1.5million to Sentebale.
‘We are enormously grateful for The Duke’s personal contribution, which will allow us to continue operating at full scale and continue providing critical services to at-risk youth in Southern Africa.’
Last year’s Polo Cup was postponed due to the pandemic, but a reduced version is taking place this year with ‘significantly fewer guests than in previous years’ and the full programme being held outside.
Organisers added that there are ‘rigorous guidelines around vaccine requirements, testing, and the wearing of masks’ – although they did not expand on the nature of these vaccine requirements.
The Duke of Sussex attended the Sentebale ISPS Handa Polo Cup in Aspen yesterday, with his appearance announced one day after it was revealed he planned to restart more in-person charity work through the Archewell Foundation
The outdoor sports match was held to raise funds for the charity’s work supporting vulnerable children in southern Africa who are impacted by extreme poverty, inequality and the HIV/AIDS epidemic
Prince Harry and team Sentebale on the winners podium at Aspen Valley Polo Club yesterday in Colorado
Prince Harry and Nacho Figueras at Aspen Valley Polo Club yesterday
The Duke of Sussex takes part in the Sentebale ISPS Handa Polo Cup at the Roma Polo Club in Italy on May 24, 2019
The Duke was joined by Sentebale Ambassador and Argentine polo player, Nacho Figueras (both pictured in Singapore in 2017), as he played on the Sentebale Team against the Royal Salute and US Polo Assn. Teams in a round robin tournament
Sentebale also said they had worked with the Pitkin County Public Health Department and received guidance from a leading infectious disease epidemiologist Dr Anne Rimoin, from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
Dr Rimoin said: ‘The mission of Sentebale is more important than ever. They are addressing an urgent need in an extremely vulnerable population that has been made even more so as a direct result of the Covid-19 global pandemic.’
Josh Vance, an epidemiologist for Pitkin County, added: ‘The Pitkin County Public Health Department has worked closely with organisers of the Sentebale ISPS Handa Polo Cup and Dr Anne Rimoin to ensure the highest level of Covid-19 safety protocols are implemented to keep all patrons and staff safe.
ISPS (The International Sports Promotion Society) Handa was founded by Dr Haruhisa Handa in 2006 with the aim of furthering the ‘transformative power of sport across the globe’, according to Sentebale
Dr Handa said: ‘ISPS has supported Sentebale since 2014. The match has raised much-needed awareness and funds for the mission to empower some of Southern Africa’s most vulnerable children, all while becoming a stalwart fixture on the global polo calendar.
‘We are thrilled to see the impact of this effort spearheaded by The Duke of Sussex and Prince Seeiso. ISPS Handa believes in the power of sport; it has the power to change the world, create a better society and break down cultural and societal barriers in a way that nothing else does.
Prince Harry during a visit to a herd boy night school constructed by Sentebale in Mokhotlong, Lesotho, in December 2014
A teenager hugs Harry during a visit to the Kasane Health Post, run by the Sentebale charity in Botswana, in September 2019
Harry plays with two children while visiting an organisation supported by Sentebale in Maseru, Lesotho, on December 8, 2014
Harry wears a Santa hat with orphans from the Mants’ase Children’s Home in Lesotho with Sentebale in December 2014
‘ISPS passionately shares Sentebale’s vision to see the children and youth in Southern Africa be empowered, healthy and resilient. ISPS Handa is excited and impressed by Sentebale’s continuous work, in both Lesotho and Botswana, that enables vulnerable children and young people to live and thrive.’
Meanwhile, lawyers for
The new edition of Finding Freedom suggests the Duke and
It says they took exception to a carefully-worded statement from the Queen, following their interview with Oprah Winfrey in March, in which she expressed concern for the couple but insisted that ‘some recollections may vary’.
But their legal team at Schillings told MailOnline yesterday that it was false and defamatory to claim the couple have ‘reignited a rift’ with the Queen – or to suggest or imply that they have made any statements to that effect.
Their lawyers insisted there were no new developments on the topic and that the claims were from the authors of the book, Mr Scobie and Carolyn Durand, who do not speak for the Sussexes and rely on unnamed sources.
Mr Scobie also tried to clarify the situation, tweeting: ‘Back at this rodeo and, predictably, words are already being twisted. The comments made by a SOURCE (a detail some outlets have purposefully ignored) was about a lack of ownership from the royal institution as a whole. There’s no ‘attack’ against the Queen anywhere in the book.’
Harry and Meghan spoke to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview in March in which they accused a senior royal of racism
The Queen during a military inspection at the gates at Balmoral on August 9, as she took up summer residence at the castle
Prince Harry speaks to Kate Middleton as he walks out of Prince Philip’s funeral at Windsor Castle with Prince William in April
An excerpt from the new version of Finding Freedom due to be published in People magazine in the US tomorrow states that the couple believe senior royals have not taken ‘accountability’ – preventing a major thaw in relations.
The extract reads: ‘Those three words, ‘recollections may vary’, did not go unnoticed by the couple, who a close source said were ‘not surprised’ that full ownership was not taken. ‘Months later and little accountability has been taken,’ a pal of Meghan’s added. ‘How can you move forward without that?’ ‘
The new version of Finding Freedom will be out on August 31
Earlier yesterday, MailOnline also reported on how the updated version of Finding Freedom said
The book now covers Harry’s return to the UK in April for his grandfather
It claims Harry spoke to his brother Prince William three times in all during the visit, as well as briefly chatting to his father,
The biography, which was a glowing portrait of the Sussexes by Mr Scobie and Ms Durand first published in August 2020, concludes that the trip ‘broke the ice’ and that the door to a rapprochement is now ‘slightly ajar’.
Stating that Harry and Meghan have no regrets about their actions, despite the toll on their family, the book says: ‘What started [as a] fairytale romance became a story that reinvented the genre – a self-made, independent woman playing an equal role alongside her knight.’
The excerpt to be published in People also claims the couple felt nervous sitting down with chat show host Oprah but had decided that they needed to speak up now, or never.
‘There were so many things they were unable to say [before stepping back from their royal roles],’ it reads.
Although the Sussexes have insisted they did not co-operate directly with the book’s authors, the level of detail – and claims by both the writers and publisher, Harper Collins, that they had access to the couple’s close circle of friends and associates – has led some to claim that indirect help was provided.
Mr Scobie attempted to clarify the situation in a tweet, following his comments published in People online on Wednesday
Harry joined his brother William at Kensington Palace on July 1 to unveil a statue they commissioned of their mother Diana
The book’s authors have said, however, that Finding Freedom is ‘independent and unauthorised’ and that the couple did not speak to them about it.
The new version is set to be published on August 31 – the anniversary of Princess Diana’s death. It contains an updated epilogue covering the Oprah interview, the death of Prince Philip, and the Sussexes’ plans for the future.
Omid Scobie spoke to People magazine ahead of the re-release of Finding Freedom in paperback this month
In an interview with People magazine, co-author Mr Scobie appears to suggest that Harry is not keen to ‘move on’ unless there is ‘accountability’ from ‘a number of individuals involved’ – including members of staff from ‘the institution’ as well as some relatives themselves.
Describing the situation as ‘complicated’, Mr Scobie said: ‘There are people within the family who [the Sussexes] are much closer to today than they were a year ago.
‘But in terms of Harry’s relationship with his father and brother, that progress has been very little. I think he is quite willing to own his part in everything, but I have been told that he is waiting to see some of that on the other side – and as of now there hasn’t been that.’
Mr Scobie adds that the California-based couple have learned to ‘prioritise their mental health’ and keep ‘some of the toxicity’ at an arm’s – and ocean’s – length away.’
After a period of parental leave following the birth of their daughter, Lilibet, the couple are apparently gearing up for a busy few months and were ‘really excited’ about the next chapter of their lives.
Mr Scobie added: ‘They seem to be existing in a different place, and that place is much healthier. Meghan famously spoke about that it was not enough to survive – we are now in the thrive chapter.’
He was referring to the duchess’s infamous interview with ITV news anchor Tom Bradby in which complained about the difficulties of living in the royal spotlight, saying: ‘It’s not enough to just survive something. You’ve got to thrive.’
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex volunteer with Baby2Baby at a school in Los Angeles, California, in August 2020
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend an engagement in London in March 2020 before they stood down as senior royals
He also said that the couple had been afraid of ‘the consequences of stepping away and challenging the system’, but the birth of their son, Archie, ‘gave them that energy to stand up for what was right for them’.
Mr Scobie said the couple were planning to expand their charity work through the not for profit arm of their organisation, Archewell, which is also the vehicle for their lucrative Netflix and Spotify deals.
Buckingham Palace did not comment on the book’s content last year. A spokesman declined to comment last night on the latest claims.
On Tuesday, Harry and Meghan issued an extraordinary statement in response to events in Afghanistan and other global crises, declaring: ‘The world is exceptionally fragile right now.’
Declaring themselves ‘speechless’ at recent humanitarian disasters, the couple also managed to pontificate at length on their website about how they had been left ‘heartbroken’ and ‘scared’ about the earthquake in Haiti, new Covid variants and the continuing global health crisis.
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast