The three England footballers abused online by racists after the team’s
Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho will be asked by the Football Association whether they are keen to see any racists prosecuted.
Their views will be passed to investigating officers.
A children’s football coach from Worcestershire was last night arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred. Nick Scott, 50, had previously denied posting racist tweets about Marcus Rashford, claiming that his account had been hacked.
Separately police are investigating claims made by a Savills employee that his
England manager Gareth Southgate and Bukayo Saka look dejected after the final
Gianluigi Donnarumma of Italy saves a penalty from Jadon Sancho of England during the final
Marcus Rashford of England reacts after missing a penalty during the penalty shoot-out
Police have arrested Nick Scott, a children’s football coach aged 50, over one of the tweets
Andrew Bone called in Greater Manchester Police after a tweet was published on his account following England’s penalty shootout defeat to
The message was posted on the page of Mr Bone – a commercial building manager who lives in Sale, Cheshire.
After 37-year-old Mr Bone, who is based in Manchester, was widely accused of being a racist, the tweet was deleted. Then, a message on his Twitter page appeared which said: ‘Omg (oh my God), I haven’t said anything.’
His stepfather Robert Dutson then told MailOnline: ‘He didn’t post the remark. His account has been hacked. He has contacted the police about it. They are looking into it now.
Andrew Bone (left and right) called in Greater Manchester Police after a racist tweet was published on his Twitter account
The message was posted on the page of Mr Bone shortly after three England players missed their penalties
A mural honouring England star Marcus Rashford was vandalised less than an hour after Sunday’s Euro 2020 final defeat
What have social media sites said about racist abuse?
Facebook, which also owns Instagram: ‘No one should have to experience racist abuse anywhere, and we don’t want it on Instagram.
‘We quickly removed comments and accounts directing abuse at England’s footballers last night and we’ll continue to take action against those that break our rules.
‘In addition to our work to remove this content, we encourage all players to turn on Hidden Words, a tool which means no one has to see abuse in their comments or DMs.
‘No one thing will fix this challenge overnight, but we’re committed to keeping our community safe from abuse.’
Twitter: ‘The abhorrent racist abuse directed at England players last night (Sunday) has absolutely no place on Twitter.
‘In the past 24 hours, through a combination of machine learning based automation and human review, we have swiftly removed over 1,000 Tweets and permanently suspended a number of accounts for violating our rules – the vast majority of which we detected ourselves proactively using technology.
‘We will continue to take action when we identify any Tweets or accounts that violate our policies.
‘We have proactively engaged and continue to collaborate with our partners across the football community to identify ways to tackle this issue collectively and will continue to play our part in curbing this unacceptable behaviour – both online and offline.’
‘He started getting comments saying he was racist. That is not him.
‘He is not a racist. The tweet appears to have come from a device not used by this account before.’
Social media platforms have faced calls for more tools to tackle and block abusive messages and stricter censure of users who abuse others.
England captain Harry Kane sent a powerful social media message to those who sent racist abuse to players, insisting ‘we don’t want you’.
Saka, Rashford and Sancho were all racially abused online after they failed to score spot-kicks in England’s agonising 3-2 defeat on penalties against Italy in the Euro 2020 final.
Rashford saw his effort strike the post before Gianluigi Donnarumma saved from Sancho and then Saka, and the Three Lions skipper backed his team-mates and insisted those who sent abuse are not real fans.
His tweet read: ‘Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high.
‘They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they’ve had since last night.
‘If you abuse anyone on social media you’re not an England fan and we don’t want you.’
England manager Gareth Southgate said the racist abuse aimed at the players was unacceptable.
And Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Football Association also condemned it.
‘It’s just not what we stand for,’ said Southgate.
‘We have been a beacon of light in bringing people together, in people being able to relate to the national team, and the national team stands for everybody and so that togetherness has to continue.
‘We have shown the power our country has when it does come together and has that energy and positivity together.
‘It’s my decision who takes the penalties, it’s not a case of players not volunteering or more experienced players backing out.’
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast