English cricket is facing more turmoil after another racist tweet by an unnamed current player was exposed by a website.
Wisden.com chose to obscure the identity of the player, who was 15 at the time of the tweet, but did include details of the post, including ‘your going out with a asian’ and three hashtags: ‘Asianthroughandthrough’, ‘hweolloo’ and ‘c****y’.
Sportsmail knows the identity of the cricketer, who has appeared in Test matches this year, but is not naming him because he was a minor at the time of the tweet. It was unclear whether the ECB would name him on Tuesday.
English cricket is facing more turmoil after another racist tweet by an unnamed current player was exposed by a website
Ollie Robinson was banned from international cricket pending an inquiry after historic racist and sexist tweets were unearthed last week
The revelation comes only five days after racist and sexist tweets by Ollie Robinson were unearthed on the day he made his Test debut at Lord’s last week.
Robinson is now banned from international cricket pending an inquiry into the tweets. An ECB spokesman said ‘It has been brought to our attention that an England player has posted historic offensive material on their social media account. We are looking into it and will make a further comment in due course.’
The discovery of another offensive tweet will infuriate ECB bosses, who last Wednesday unveiled their new anti-discrimination drive on the first morning of the first Test against New Zealand at Lord’s.
Meanwhile, Michael Carberry has questioned Ollie Robinson’s future in cricket in light of the historic racist and sexist tweets that led to his suspension for the second Test against New Zealand.
Michael Carberry questioned Robinson’s future in cricket after his suspension
The former England batsman was stinging in his criticism of Robinson and English cricket, which he says has learned nothing from a year when the game has come under attack with repeated allegations of institutionalised racism.
‘I thought, “Here we go again”,’ said Carberry when asked what his reaction was to the emergence of tweets sent by Robinson nine years ago when he was 18.
‘It backs up what I said last year that the game has a massive problem. And until people start to deal with the problem it’s not going away.
‘Good on the ECB for suspending Ollie Robinson but I would ask more questions. Why was this not picked up on years ago? Why has this guy been allowed to get this far in his career and achieved what he has achieved at the highest level?’
Asked by Sky Sports News whether there should be a policy of zero tolerance and that Robinson, who made his England debut at Lord’s, should not play cricket again, Carberry said: ‘Absolutely. If he wants to rehab he should do it on the sidelines.’
The former England batsman was stinging in his criticism of Robinson and the ECB
Robinson had earlier received backing from the Government when Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden tweeted: ‘Ollie Robinson’s tweets were offensive and wrong. They are also a decade old and written by a teenager. The teenager is now a man and has rightly apologised. The ECB has gone over the top by suspending him and should think again.’
But Carberry said: ‘I have no respect for Oliver Dowden’s comments because this is a bloke who has never been discriminated against.’
England coach Chris Silverwood has refused to give Robinson, who faces the threat of further action from the ECB, any guarantees he will play Test cricket again. Sussex, meanwhile, will decide on Tuesday whether Robinson will play in their opening Twenty20 Blast games later this week.
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast