A five-year-old boy killed in Israel by rocket fire from Gaza has been pictured, after he became one of the country’s seven victims of the latest cross-border conflict.
Ido Avigal was fatally stuck by shrapnel after the building he was in with his mother was hit by a missile on Wednesday night.
In the building, found in the town of Sderot on the border with Gaza, seven people were hurt when it suffered a direct hit from a rocket.
Ido Avigal, who was killed in his home in Sderot by a rocket fired from Gaza on May 12, 2021. Avigal was pronounced dead several hours later, becoming the seventh Israeli victim of the cross border conflict that started earlier this week
An injured boy is stretchered from the scene of the attack in Sderot that killed five-year-old Ido Avigal yesterday
A woman is treated in the aftermath of the rocket attack that killed five-year-old Ido Avigal in Sderot
The boy’s mother grabbed him and took him into a fortified room when the in-coming rocket sirens sounded, according to local Hebrew media reports cited by the
However, in a rare tragedy, shrapnel from the rocket punctured the shelter’s window, critically wounding the boy and also injuring his mother.
Avigal was pronounced dead several hours later, becoming the seventh Israeli victim of the cross border conflict that started earlier this week.
So far, Israel has seen five Israeli citizens killed, one Indian national and an Israeli Defence Force (IDF) soldier in the latest violence in the region.
As of Wednesday night, at least 67 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday, including 16 children.
Israel says most of the dead were terrorists and insists the children killed were victims of stray Palestinian rockets.
A flat, said by the Times of Israel to be the one Ado Avigal was in when it was hit by a Hamas rocket, burns in the aftermath
Smoke continues to rise from the flat in Sderot after it suffered a direct hit from a Hamas rocket
Pictured: Rockets are launched from Gaza city, controlled by the Palestinian Hamas movement, in response to an Israeli air strike on a 12-storey building in the city, towards the coastal city of Tel Aviv, on May 11, 2021
Israel on Thursday pressed ahead with a fierce military offensive in the Gaza Strip, killing as many as 11 senior Hamas military figures and toppling a pair of high-rise towers housing Hamas facilities in a series of airstrikes.
But the Islamic militant group showed no signs of backing down and fired hundreds of rockets at Israeli cities, including heavily populated Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
Palestinian militants have stockpiled enough missiles to continue bombing Israel for the next two months, security experts have warned, as escalating fighting led the UN to warn of ‘all-out war’.
Local media said 1,500 missiles have been fired from Gaza towards Israel so far this week.
The launch of around 350 rockets had failed, while hundreds more were intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome air defence system, the army said. The rest, however, have found their target, killing and injuring many.
Meanwhile, street clashes continued on Israel’s streets across the country, with Jewish and Arab citizens both attacking one-another in numerous incidents, leading to over 370 arrests across the country.
In one incident, an Arab man was dragged from his car and beaten by Jewish ultranationalists, while in another a Jewish citizen was attacked by sticks and stones by Arab Israeli protesters.
A fire rages at sunrise in Khan Yunish following an Israeli airstrike on targets in the southern Gaza strip, early on May 12, 2021. – Israeli air raids in the Gaza Strip have hit the homes of high-ranking members of the Hamas militant group, the military said Wednesday, with the territory’s police headquarters also targeted
Pleas for calm appeared in vain as
And after a senior Hamas commander was killed yesterday, the Islamist militant group responded with a barrage of rockets into southern Israel which rescue workers said killed a six-year-old boy.
Israel’s defence minister Benny Gantz vowed more attacks on Gaza to bring ‘total, long-term quiet’ before they would consider truce talks after six days of violence. Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his military would only use ‘increasing force’ in the conflict.
‘We eliminated senior Hamas commanders and this is just the beginning,’ he said. ‘We will inflict blows on them that they couldn’t even dream of.’ The leader of Hamas Ismail Haniyeh hit back, vowing that ‘if Israel wants to escalate, we are ready for it’.
Pictured: Palestinians gather during confrontations with the Israeli security forces in the city centre of the West Bank town of Hebron, on May 12,2021
In just three days, this latest round of fighting between the bitter enemies has already begun to resemble – and even exceed – a devastating 50-day war in 2014. Like that previous war, neither side appears to have an exit strategy.
But there are key differences. The fighting has triggered the worst Jewish-Arab violence inside Israel in decades. And looming in the background is an international war crimes investigation.
Israel carried out an intense barrage of airstrikes just after sunrise, striking dozens of targets in several minutes that set off bone-rattling explosions across Gaza. Airstrikes continued throughout the day, filling the sky with pillars of smoke.
At nightfall, the streets of Gaza City resembled a ghost town as people huddled indoors on the final night of Ramadan. The evening, followed by the Eid al-Fitr holiday, is usually a time of vibrant night life, shopping and crowded restaurants.