The teenager whose hand was chopped clean off in a horrific machete attack in Leeds has been identified as a keen boxer.
Jaden Hughes, 18, was targeted on Tuesday night in a suspected gang assault on Stanks Parade, Swarcliffe – where his severed hand was left lying in the road.
Surgeons have managed to reattach the limb during a seven-hour operation, according to his aunt.
Detectives have charged 24-year-old George Johns with one count of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm and one count of violent disorder. He is due to appear at Leeds Magistrates’ Court this morning.
Officers have also arrested a 13-year-old boy on suspicion of criminal damage at an address on April 9, which detectives believe to be linked to the assault.
Keen boxer Jaden Hughes, 18, lost his hand in an apparent gang incident on Tuesday night
The boxer (left), pictured with world champion Josh Warrington, was screaming in pain in the road
The 18-year-old man’s severed hand was reportedly left lying in the road following the suspected gang assault on Stanks Parade, Swarcliffe, on Tuesday night (police at the scene)
A cordon was in place in Swarcliffe with officers searching the area for the machete used in the horrific attack
Mr Hughes, an aspiring young sportsman is believed to have been set upon following a Snapchat exchange of taunts goading teenagers from another area of the city.
West Yorkshire Police are using additional stop and search powers in an area of east Leeds where they believe gang warfare is rife.
Mr Hughes’s aunt Danielle Hughes said: ‘Jaden has come round after a seven-hour operation where surgeons have reattached his hand.
‘I haven’t seen him myself, but I understand he is doing alright. It’s really sad. He lost his mum when he was only young and is now brought up by my dad.
‘He was a really talented boxer. He obviously won’t ever be doing that again.’
Jaden Hughes’ aunt said the 18-year-old was ‘doing all right’ after a seven-hour operation
Pictured: Officers seen at the location of the machete attack last night
Superintendent Russ Hughes said: ‘The continued use of Section 60 powers is a legitimate tactic that gives us an enhanced ability to target and deter those carrying weapons and therefore prevent serious violence.
‘Scrutiny and accountability are key factors to ensure the trust and confidence of our communities, and we are working closely with local representatives to keep them fully updated.’
Police are appealing for information, and Detective Inspector Guy Shackleton said they believe the attack involved ‘a number of people’.
Residents in Swarcliffe say the 18-year-old was approached by a gang who ‘came up and chopped his whole hand off’ at around 9.30pm on Tuesday.
One neighbour who witnessed the attack said: ‘I have never known anything like it’ and described it as ‘horrific’.
While another resident said that the victim could be heard ‘screaming in pain’.
One witness also said the victim was able to make a joke about life without his missing appendage following the attack.
He said: ‘He was obviously screaming in pain – which we all heard. I mean, the lad had his arm chopped off.
‘He was in good spirits – he shouted out: ‘For God sake, how am I going to be able to w**k now?!”
Officers were called out to Stanks Parade, Swarcliffe, where they found the victim, whose hand had been ‘completely severed’, being treated by neighbours who had tied a belt around his wrist and attempted to bandage his severed hand which was seen lying in the middle of the road
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast