Boys at private schools embroiled in the sex abuse scandal are having to change out of uniform to avoid street attacks and verbal abuse, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
Current male pupils also fear including their school name on CVs in case they are turned away by potential employers because of the negative associations.
Others – aged as young as 13 – have faced abuse from members of the public and have been branded rapists in the street, prompting some to change out of uniform for journeys to and from school.
Pupils staged a protest against rape culture at Highgate School in London on March 25. The school, has been named in allegations among others including Eton and Dulwich College
It comes after thousands of accusations of sexual harassment and rape were posted on a campaign website, Everyone’s Invited, with some allegations naming famous establishments such as Eton, Highgate School and Dulwich College.
But parents of innocent children fear a backlash. One said: ‘My son is being unfairly treated because of this. He’s now associated with these allegations and is scared for his future.’ Another woman tweeted: ‘Boys are being attacked and beaten up based on allegations. Trial by social media is dangerous and potentially very damaging.’
One boy at a London independent school told The Mail on Sunday: ‘A lot of us are worried our association with the school is going to damage our job prospects. People will just look at us and see a rapist.’
More than 11,000 testimonies have now been uploaded to the Everyone’s Invited website
A 46-year-old mother of boys aged 12 and 17 told The Daily Telegraph: ‘This is scaring me. What if it’s a case of two different perspectives of an event? What if the accusations are false, or exaggerated? How does a young man get his reputation back?
‘I know of boys being ‘cancelled’ by friends they’ve had since primary school because nobody wants to associate with them in the wake of allegations. They are being branded as rapists without any opportunity to share their perspective – it’s frankly terrifying.’
‘It’s really worrying,’ another mother added. ‘Very little is said about false allegations and protecting the alleged perpetrator.’
A teenager who on arrival at sixth-form college allegedly had girls screaming at him after a story had circulated has not returned since. None of his friends have been in contact with him, fearing they will be ‘cancelled’ if they break ranks.
Education Secretary Gavin Williamson has condemned the alleged assaults as ‘shocking’ and suggested any schools implicated could face government measures
One boy was obliged to share intimate text messages with his parents to prove that an encounter had been consensual after a girl he had been in a relationship with told a very different version of the story.
As of last night, nearly 14,000 allegations of sexual abuse and rape had been made on Everyone’s Invited.
Norfolk Chief Constable Simon Bailey, the National Police Chiefs’ Council lead on child protection, has blamed the ‘volume of pornographic material being consumed’, adding: ‘There’s an erosion of an understanding of what normal sexual relationships look like.’
Tips to Find Low Priced Luxury Holiday Package Deals Fast