Professor Neil Mortensen, the president of the Royal College of Surgeons, rang alarm bells today after warning the situation in hospitals is getting ‘much worse’, and escalating faster than the ‘slow-motion car crash’ he previously predicted.
Adding to mounting warnings, he said other non-Covid treatments such as knee replacements may also be put on hold because of escalating Covid admissions.
Dr Claudia Paoloni, the chairman of the Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association, echoed his warning today saying the risk of hospitals becoming overwhelmed in the next few weeks is ‘very, very high’.
King’s College hospital in south London has already called off all ‘priority 2’ cancer operations, procedures which specialists have judged to be urgent and need to be done within 28 days of a decision to undertake them.
It is feared other hospitals in the country may face the same difficult decision in the coming days if admissions don’t start to fall.
Healthcare services are already 40 per cent busier than during the first wave in April, Boris Johnson has said, as doctors liken working for the NHS to being in a warzone.
It comes after Britain’s chief medical officers warned there was a ‘material risk’ of the
A top surgeon has warned those waiting for operations to treat cancer could have their surgery axed due to spiralling admissions. Above are ambulance workers outside the Royal London Hospital on January 3
RECORD NUMBER OF SICK PATIENTS ARE WAITING MORE THAN 12-HOURS ON A STRETCHER
By Eleanor Hayward Health Correspondent for the Daily Mail
NHS figures yesterday revealed a record number of very sick patients waited on trolleys in A&E during December.
The data, seen by the
Nearly half of these were in London.
The previous highest number of 12-hour trolley waits – the time between arriving at A&E and receiving a bed – was 2,847 in January 2020.
The provisional figures – which will probably increase -are set to be published officially by NHS England next week.
Vice president of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine Adrian Boyle told
‘Not only is it undignified for patients, but studies have found that the longer a patient waits for admission to a hospital bed, the greater the risk of death.’
He added: ‘These waits usually result from a lack of inpatient beds and staff, and — as well as putting the patient at risk — lead to further dangerous crowding and corridor care within the emergency department.
He said the more patients there are on stretchers, the more difficult it is to administer care in an already-strained A&E.
Professor Mortensen told Times Radio: ‘My colleagues in London doing ward rounds, for example, report that there are problems with staff numbers on the wards, staff numbers in theatres.
‘And then of course if you need to go to the intensive care unit, if the intensive care unit is full of Covid patients there’s no room for you.
‘So it’s a really serious situation and, obviously, the less-priority operations have already stopped in many places – hips, knees, ENT (ear nose and throat) procedures.
‘We’re now concerned about operations like cancer surgeries being cancelled or postponed because there just isn’t the capacity to be able to manage them.’
He added: ‘I think if you have a delayed operation for cancer that may have an effect.
‘If you come in from a road traffic accident and you’re seriously ill, and you need to go to an intensive care unit afterwards and there is no intensive care unit, that’s going to have serious consequences.
‘And that’s why everybody is so concerned right now that we are properly locked down, that we’re as far as we possibly can reducing the transmission of the virus, and making it possible for what facilities we do have to carry on working effectively to keep people alive.’
Warning that those waiting for treatments for other illnesses also faced seeing their procedures cut, Professor Mortensen added: ‘There needs to be space in our hospitals for us to deal with all the other things – the heart attacks or strokes, the cancer surgeries and emergency surgery.
‘We have to be able to keep capacity to do those. And if we don’t reduce the transmission of the virus, there won’t be that capacity.’
When asked whether the NHS will be able to return to normal business by late spring, he added: ‘I’m afraid I’m one of the pessimists I think this is going to drag on a bit.
‘I think that we’re really not going to be any bit in any better shape (until) summer I’m afraid.
Professor Neil Mortensen, president of the royal college of surgeons
‘I think it’s going to take a long time. This is a very, very, very serious situation.
‘There’ll be an enormous backlog of elective surgeries, and we may have backlogs of some more urgent surgeries to get through as well so it’s going to be a long tough, hard winter and spring.’
Dr Paoloni warned on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: ‘We’re now in a situation where the risk of overwhelming the NHS at this point, over the next few weeks, is very, very high.
‘We are very much hoping that this (lockdown) will avert an overwhelming.’
Asked what hospitals being overwhelmed could look like, she said: ‘What you see in London, on the news or in the papers, with ambulances lined up, unable to load their patients into Accident and Emergencies, could happen in every hospital throughout this country, which means that anyone with any condition may not be able to access the care that they need.’
King’s College hospitals decision to postpone cancer operations has led to fears among staff that some of the affected patients may see their cancers spread of become inoperable, reports
‘It’s important to do these cancer cases within four weeks because they’re urgent,’ one member of staff told the newspaper.
‘If you put cancer surgery off for more than four weeks, that cancer can spread. (The delay can mean that) surgery may become inappropriate, because surgery can no longer get rid of the cancer, and thus the patient’s outcome may be worse.’
King’s has confirmed it has cancelled priority 2 cancer operations.
A spokesman said: ‘Due to the large increase in patients being admitted with Covid-19, including those requiring intensive care, we have taken the difficult decision to postpone all elective procedures, with the exception of cases where a delay would cause immediate harm.’
Boris Johnson pictured visiting the Chase Farm Hospital in London yesterday
Britain’s chief medical officers have warned parts of the NHS are already under ‘immense pressure’, as Covid-19 cases continue to spiral.
They have raised the alert level to five – its highest – for the first time since the pandemic began, meaning ‘transmission is rising exponentially’ and healthcare services may be overwhelmed.
In a letter written by the UK’s four CMOs and NHS England’s national medical director Professor Stephen Powis – ahead of Mr Johnson’s address – said: ‘Following advice from the Joint Biosecurity Centre and in the light of the most recent data, the four UK chief medical officers and NHS England medical director recommend that the UK alert level should move from Level 4 to Level 5.
‘Many parts of the health systems in the four nations are already under immense pressure. There are currently very high rates of community transmission, with substantial numbers of Covid patients in hospitals and in intensive care.
‘Cases are rising almost everywhere, in much of the country driven by the new more transmissible variant. We are not confident that the NHS can handle a further sustained rise in cases and without further action there is a material risk of the NHS in several areas being overwhelmed over the next 21 days.
‘Although the NHS is under immense pressure, significant changes have been made so people can still receive lifesaving treatment.
‘It is absolutely critical that people still come forward for emergency care. If you require non-urgent medical attention, please contact your GP or call NHS 111.’
The Prime Minister sent England into its third lockdown yesterday, with shutdowns also in place in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
As many as 80,000 positive cases were recorded on December 29 alone, thought to have been key in the Prime Minister’s decision to once again draw the curtains on society.
WILL CANCELLED CANCER OPERATIONS PUT LIVES AT RISK? MOTHER, 40, TELLS HOW POTENTIALLY LIFE-SAVING OPERATION WAS CUT DUE TO COVID-19
Beth Purvis, 40, a legal assistant from Essex, was meant to have a 19mm tumour removed from her right lung
On March 18, Beth Purvis was due to have a 19mm tumour removed from her right lung. The operation was part of a four-year ordeal to keep her advanced bowel cancer at bay.
But a week before she was due to have her potentially life-saving operation, Beth received a phone call to tell her it had been cancelled, along with all other scheduled operations, to free hospital beds for coronavirus patients.
Speaking to Good Health on the day she should have been undergoing surgery, Beth, 40, a legal assistant from Essex, was tearful and frightened.
She had prepared meticulously for this day, arranging childcare for 11-year old Joseph and Abigail, ten, so her husband Richard, a painter and decorator, could carry on working while she was in hospital.
‘I understand the hospital needs to free up beds and keep intensive care beds available. But that doesn’t make it easier to deal with,’ she says.
‘I feel drained trying to juggle everything — educating the children at home, working, and dealing with the emotions around not having the operation. The fear about what could happen if I don’t get it in time is paralysing.’
Beth had bowel cancer diagnosed in 2016 and has had three operations and 26 rounds of chemotherapy.
She had been in remission for 14 wonderful months before a new tumour was found in her right lung in January.
‘Although my life expectancy was uncertain after secondary tumours were found, there was stability in knowing there were treatment options — this operation was a lifeline,’ she says. ‘But because of Covid-19, I have no idea what will happen next or if there will be any treatment because the expertise, resources and equipment are needed elsewhere.’