Boy, 12, dies suddenly ‘from anaphylactic shock’ on Christmas Day

A schoolboy with a nut allergy and severe asthma died suddenly on Christmas Day from suspected anaphylactic shock as he played in the park with friends.

Cason Hallwood, 12, collapsed at Wharton Recreation Ground last Friday hours after he had enjoyed Christmas dinner with his mother, three brothers and his grandparents.

He was taken to hospital, but died a short time later. Doctors believe the youngster, who suffered with asthma and a nut allergy, suffered anaphylactic shock, although a post-mortem is yet to take place.

Family friend Sam Decruz said: ‘It’s something no parent should ever have to go through. On any day, let alone Christmas Day.’ 

Cason Hallwood, 12, died on Christmas Day after suffering a suspected anaphylactic shock while at the park with friends

Cason Hallwood, 12, died on Christmas Day after suffering a suspected anaphylactic shock while at the park with friends

Cason Hallwood, 12, died on Christmas Day after suffering a suspected anaphylactic shock while at the park with friends 

Cason (second right) had opened his presents and eaten Christmas dinner with his mother Louise and three brothers (all pictured together) before heading out to play at Wharton Recreation Ground in Cheshire

Cason (second right) had opened his presents and eaten Christmas dinner with his mother Louise and three brothers (all pictured together) before heading out to play at Wharton Recreation Ground in Cheshire

Cason (second right) had opened his presents and eaten Christmas dinner with his mother Louise and three brothers (all pictured together) before heading out to play at Wharton Recreation Ground in Cheshire

Illnesses meant the youngster had been forced to spend previous Christmases in hospital, but appeared fit and healthy last week.

While at the park with his friends, he began to struggle breathing and called his mother, Louise Hallwood, for help. 

After running to his aid and administering a shot from his epinephrine auto-injector, his desperate mother phoned for an ambulance.

Cason, the youngest of four brothers, was rushed to Leighton Hospital in Crewe but sadly died a short time later.  

A fundraising page set up in Cason's memory has raised more than £8,000. Family friend Sam Decruz said: 'As a parent myself, I cannot comprehend the pain that Louise and her three other sons Cowen, Corley and Caiden are feeling right know'

A fundraising page set up in Cason's memory has raised more than £8,000. Family friend Sam Decruz said: 'As a parent myself, I cannot comprehend the pain that Louise and her three other sons Cowen, Corley and Caiden are feeling right know'

A fundraising page set up in Cason’s memory has raised more than £8,000. Family friend Sam Decruz said: ‘As a parent myself, I cannot comprehend the pain that Louise and her three other sons Cowen, Corley and Caiden are feeling right know’

The youngest of four brothers, Cason was described as the 'baby of the bunch'. While illness usually meant he spent Christmas Day in hospital, this year the youngster awoke feeling healthy. Despite the best efforts of his mother and paramedics, Cason died at Leighton Hospital in Crewe

The youngest of four brothers, Cason was described as the 'baby of the bunch'. While illness usually meant he spent Christmas Day in hospital, this year the youngster awoke feeling healthy. Despite the best efforts of his mother and paramedics, Cason died at Leighton Hospital in Crewe

The youngest of four brothers, Cason was described as the ‘baby of the bunch’. While illness usually meant he spent Christmas Day in hospital, this year the youngster awoke feeling healthy. Despite the best efforts of his mother and paramedics, Cason died at Leighton Hospital in Crewe

WHAT IS ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK?

Anaphylaxis, also known as anaphylactic shock, can kill within minutes.

It is a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction to a trigger, such as an allergy.

The reaction can often be triggered by certain foods, including peanuts and shellfish.

However, some medicines, bee stings, and even latex used in condoms can also cause the life-threatening reaction.

According to the NHS, it occurs when the immune system overreacts to a trigger. 

Symptoms include: feeling lightheaded or faint; breathing difficulties – such as fast, shallow breathing; wheezing; a fast heartbeat; clammy skin; confusion and anxiety and collapsing or losing consciousness. 

It is considered a medical emergency and requires immediate treatment.

Insect stings are not dangerous for most victims but a person does not necessarily have to have a pre-existing condition to be in danger. 

An incremental build-up of stings can cause a person to develop an allergy, with a subsequent sting triggering the anaphylactic reaction.

<!—->Advertisement

A GoFundMe page in Cason’s memory has raised more than £8,000.

Setting up the page on Sunday, Ms Decruz wrote: ‘As a parent myself, I cannot comprehend the pain that Louise and her three other sons Cowen, Corley and Caiden are feeling right know.

‘Louise lives and breathes for her babies, and always put them before herself,

‘He was the life and soul of his family’s life especially his mum Louise’s. He sure kept her on her toes.

‘He was her baby of the bunch, so he always got away with murder. He made his mum laugh cry and most importantly he adored her. They was never far apart. Best friends.

‘Cason was a handsome whirlwind, and no day was ever the same as the next with him. So to come to know that he’s sadly passed away has hit a lot of people hard.’

Ms Decruz told Cheshire Live: ‘The one year he doesn’t spend it in hospital and then its ended like this.

‘He was very boisterous, always breaking things, Louise was forever having to replace stuff but he never did it intentionally.

‘Christmas Day of all days he cracked the screen on his new phone his mum had got him but he was dead funny.’ 

Thanking the public for their donations, Ms Decruz added: ‘On behalf of Cason’s family. They would all like to say a massive heartfelt thank you. To everyone who’s shown nothing but love kindness and support. In there time of need.

‘Louise is humbled and overwhelmed with the love shown.’

Hundreds of people have wished Cason’s family well after the tragic death on Christmas Day.

A message written on his mother’s behalf on Christmas Day read: ‘Her baby Cason grew his angel wings today we are all utterly heartbroken.’ 

His former teacher Pauline McCabe wrote: ‘Cason was and is the most funniest boy I’ve ever had the pleasure to teach, never a dull moment the biggest heart and love for his mum I’ve ever known.’ 

Others expressed their heartbreak and devastation following the popular youngster’s death. 

Friend Rachel Ingham wrote: ‘So sorry for your loss, thinking of you all at this devastating time. 

‘As a mother i can’t imagine what you must be going through my heart goes out to you.’

Link hienalouca.com

(Total views: 4 Time, 1 visits per day)

Leave a Reply