Biden, 33, was sentenced to between 20 days and six months of ‘confinement’ following the December 3 hearing.
However, a deal she cut with the Montgomery County district attorney means that she will avoid jail, and instead serve 20 days of rehab followed by five months of probation.
Caroline Biden is pictured in court in New York in January 2018. She also faced DUI charges
Joe Biden and brother James, the father of Caroline. She has had multiple run-ins with the law
‘She will be on probation,’ said Kate Delano, a spokeswoman for the Montgomery County DA.
‘Should she then violate or break the law at any time, then she will be on the hook for the rest of the sentence.’
She was also ordered to pay $1,990 in fines and legal costs and ‘participate in a public or nonprofit community service program for 12 hours.’
Her license was also suspended for a year and she will be compelled to participate in a drug and alcohol awareness program, Delano said.
Biden, the daughter of Joe’s brother James, was caught in August 2019 in Lower Merion Township after crashing her car into a tree. Jeffrey Seamans, the officer who arrested her, noted that she ‘had difficulty focusing on the conversation’ as he questioned her.
She was also driving without a license.
Caroline Biden, 33, has faced numerous legal battles but has always avoided jail time
Her car contained pill bottles for the muscle relaxant and pain treatment carisoprodol, and lorazepam, which is commonly used to relieve anxiety. Both of them are controlled substances.
A blood test later confirmed those and other drugs were in her system at the time of the crash.
Biden’s arraignment was held on November 4 – one day after the presidential election.
A court spokesperson insisted the date was auto-generated and its post-election timing coincidental.
Mike Gottlieb, a Norristown, Pennsylvania, attorney with experience in DUI cases, told
‘It is not an unusual sentence to get credit for the time in the rehab. So truthfully, I don’t think she was treated any differently than any of my clients would have been,’ he told The Post.
It is not Biden’s first run-in with the law.
Caroline Biden is pictured in court in New York in July 2018, on charges of using a stolen card
In New York she was charged with spending more than $110,000 on a stolen credit card, and accused of assaulting an NYPD officer.
She admitted in court in 2017 to using an unidentified victim’s credit card at C.O. Bigelow Apothecary in the West Village of Manhattan between April 2015 and June 2016.
In June 2017 she agreed to pay it off, and to do community service.
Biden was also arrested in 2013 during a scuffle with her roommate, for attacking an officer who responded to their apartment.
The officer was unharmed and Biden again avoided jail.
Biden family legal troubles
Caroline Biden (niece) :
- She will do 20 days in rehab and five months of probation for a DUI and driving without a license case out of Pennsylvania in 2019
- Caroline got two years probation in 2017 after being charged with grand and petty larceny over stolen credit card charges
- She had a case dismissed in 2013 over charges of resisting arrest, obstruction of government administration and harassment in NYC
Ashley Biden (daughter):
- Ashley was charged with marijuana possession in New Orleans in 1999, but no conviction is recorded
- She had charges dropped in Chicago in 2002 after being accused of attempting to obstruct a police officer
Frank Biden (brother):
- Frank got six months probation for a DUI charge in Florida in 2003
- A petty theft case out of Florida in 2003 was dropped
- He was ordered to do three months in rehab after being caught driving with a suspended license in Florida in 2004
Hunter Biden (son):
- Hunter was accepted into the pretrial intervention program and had records expunged after a drug possession charge in New Jersey in 1988