An LA school district has launched a probe after a former sports coach, 23, befriended a six-year-old boy and beat him to death on Boxing Day.
Tyler Martin-Brand, a former Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) after-school program coach, was charged in late December with the murder of Dayvon Taylor, 6, after he was found ‘severely’ beaten at the suspect’s apartment the day after
Martin-Brand met Dayvon and befriended his family when he worked as a coach at Normandie Elementary in 2018.
Dayvon’s mother, Kenya Taylor, made the alleged killer her son’s godfather and previously told how he would take the boy to movies and on play dates.
Prosecutors said Martin-Brand had been looking after Dayvon over the Christmas holidays when he ‘severely’ beat him. Dayvon was taken to a Long Beach hospital where he died of his injuries.
Dayvon Taylor (pictured), 6, was beaten to death on Boxing Day by Tyler Martin-Brand, 23, a former Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) after-school program coach
Martin-Brand (pictured) has been charged with Dayvon’s murder. The suspect befriended Dayvon and his family when he worked as a coach at Normandie Elementary
The heartbroken family are now demanding answers from the school district around why he had been allowed to work closely with children.
‘I don’t know how this man was able to work with children and do what he has done to my nephew,’ Virginia Sewell, the victim’s great aunt told
‘Justice needs to be served.’
The LAUSD said it had not known Martin-Brand continued to contact the boy and his mother after he stopped working at the school.
It confirmed Tuesday that it is working with police and is launching an internal investigation.
‘Los Angeles Unified will conduct a comprehensive investigation to determine the extent to which Mr. Martin-Brand violated our policy pertaining to non-school-hour access and association with students,’ LAUSD said in a statement.
Dayvon (pictured with his dad David Nicholson) was made his alleged killer’s godson. The family are now demanding to know how the school district allowed the boy to be put in danger
Other families in the community have since come forward with reports that the school coach was violent with their children.
‘We want to know why he was still allowed to work at school and why wasn’t those incidents of violence reported by school administrators,’ said Najee Ali of Project Islamic Hope.
Martin-Brand is due in court on Thursday to face charges of murder and assault on a child causing death.
If convicted on both counts, he could face up to life in prison.