A murder investigation has been launched after a man was fatally stabbed in Kent.
The man in his 30s was found with multiple stab wounds in Gillingham on Friday afternoon and the suspected killer remains on the run after fleeing the scene.
Police were alerted to the incident at 1.10pm on Friday afternoon and the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
The attack is understood to have occurred near the town’s The Monarch pub.
Police were alerted to the incident at 1.10pm on Friday afternoon and the victim was pronounced dead at the scene
Forensic officers at the crime scene in Gillingham, Kent following a fatal stabbing
Crime scene cordoned off after a man was fatally stabbed in Kent. Police have launched a murder investigation and the killer remains on the loose
It is understood an air ambulance also landed near the property to join two ambulances and paramedic crews at about 1.30pm, short’y after the incident.
The killer fled from the house in the town’s Fox Street and so far has not been caught. Authorities confirmed they were called out to a ‘serious incident’ and a murder investigation has subsequently been launched.
A member of staff at the Monarch pub said police arrived in the street this afternoon and were still there.
She said: ‘We’re just in here behind closed doors at the moment, I couldn’t say how many police are out there at the moment.
‘There’s loads of them, including forensics, and it sounds like there going to be here for a few more hours as well.’
The Fox Street resident added: ‘My wife was taking me back to work at 12.50pm and noticed there was a cordon.
‘She got back about 20 minutes later and then she was told she wasn’t allowed in the street.
‘She’s still at her dads, which is just around the corner.
‘She has been going back to check what is going on but still isn’t allowed back home.
Forensic officers at work at the scene where a man was found dead with multiple stab wounds on Friday afternoon
The killer fled from the house in the town’s Fox Street and so far has not been caught
‘We can only assume there has been a stabbing and someone has been killed. The officers has told us he doesn’t know when we will be able to get back in.
‘There is a forensic van and at least three police cars still there.’
Another man who had just moved to the street said he was unable to get into his house as there was a forensic tent outside.
The man, who didn’t want to be named, said: ‘I am in shock. I have only just moved here and the police are not saying anything at all.’
Kent Police said in a statement: ‘Officers and the South East Coast Ambulance Service attended the scene where a man in his 30s was declared deceased. It is believed the victim sustained injuries consistent with a stabbing.
‘An investigation to establish the circumstances of the incident has been launched by the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate and officers currently remain at the scene while enquiries are ongoing.’
Anyone with information is asked to contact Kent Police.
The incident is the latest in a shocking spree of five brutal murders that has rocked the south of England – just five days before Christmas.
Detectives, who were braced for a seasonal surge in violent crimes, were frantically coping with the suspicious killings of three women and two men which have happened since last Tuesday.
The Major Crime Teams were investigating murders in Woking, Surrey, Portsmouth, Hants., Hounslow, west London, Gillingham, Kent and Crowborough, East Sussex. All the victims were believed to be the victims of stabbings and arrests had been made in four of the five crimes.
The most savage killing involved pensioner Angela Tarver, who was almost decapitated on Thursday afternoon. The 70-year-old’s body was found in a pool of blood in Julian Close, Woking, Surrey. Two men – believed to be her son and husband – were arrested on suspicion of murder.