Matthew Wright has been sacked by TalkRadio and will not be returning to his show when his contract ends in December, MailOnline can reveal.
The chat show host, 54, has been told not to return by radio bosses as co-host Kevin O’Sullivan and Kait Borsay step in.
Insiders have revealed that many of the TalkRadio presenters, including Iain Lee and Eamonn Holmes, fear for the future of their shows as the station is being taken over in the New Year by Times Radio.
Shock: Matthew Wright has been SACKED from HIS TalkRadio show, MailOnline can reveal
Stepping in: The chat show host, 54, has been asked not to return by radio bosses as co-host Kevin O’Sullivan (left) and Kait Borsay step in (pictured 2018)
An insider said: ‘Matthew’s had his contract terminated after relations turned sour between him and several of the producers.
‘He received an email telling him not to come in as of today, with Kevin and Kait stepping in to fill his regular slot.’
A source close to Matthew, added: ‘He has left TalkRadio and will not be returning.
‘He’s enjoyed his time working with the station but is happy to move onto new opportunities.’
It is understood his contract naturally ends in December and will not be renewed.
An insider said: ‘Matthew’s had his contract terminated after relations turned sour between him and several of the producers’
The former I’m a Celeb campmate has removed any mention of his TalkRadio show from his Twitter bio in the wake of his sacking.
Mailonline has contacted spokesmen for TalkRadio, Matthew Wright, Iain Lee and Eamonn Holmes for comment.
The star joined TalkRadio in September 2018, fronting the weekday afternoon slot between 1pm and 4pm.
At the time he said: ‘I’m absolutely thrilled to be joining talkRADIO at this fascinating time in history when there’s so much to discuss and debate. My new afternoon show will see me team up with Fleet Street legend, critic Kevin O’Sullivan – two real-life chums who don’t agree on anything!
Gone: The former I’m a Celeb campmate has removed any mention of his TalkRadio show from his Twitter bio in the wake of his sacking
‘Free of the restrictions imposed when I was on the goggle box, I’m looking forward to full-on phone-ins and laughs a plenty, not just with talkRADIO’s growing army of loyal listeners, but with an array of celebrity guests too. It will all kick-off at 1pm on Monday 10 September when I’m planning on not just discussing the news, but making it too.
His appointment came three months after he said goodbye to his Channel 5 show, The Wright Stuff, which began airing in 2000.
Matthew shed some light on why he was choosing to leave The Wright Stuff, explaining: ‘It’s very clear because my dad died young – to put a roof over my head.
‘So after I did [finished paying] the mortgage, I thought ok. My dad died at my age so I want to do some living.
Stepping in: Current co-host Kevin and Kait Borsay (right) are pictured earlier this month
‘Hopefully a bit of work along the way or I’ll be starving.’
The star welcomed miracle daughter Cassady in January with wife Amelia after an eight-year IVF battle.
Matthew previously admitted he’s been left with ‘no idea’ what he’s doing next, after quitting The Wright Stuff amid claims of a fall out with production bosses.
The star said he no longer wanted to live ‘like passing ships’ with wife of eight years Amelia and was tired of the 3am starts and 7pm bedtimes.
Channel 5 host Matthew returned to the breakfast show to give his reasons for the shock departure, confirming he would be gone by the end of June.
I’m up at the 3 in the morning these days,’ Matthew told his co-hosts. ‘I go to bed at 7pm and it’s been 18 years of this.
‘Mrs Wright [and I] pass like ships in the night and at some point, you’ve got to have a change.’
He went on to say: ‘The demands of getting up for an early morning show – and I’m not going to equate it with digging roads, which is hard as well – but it takes its toll on the old brain.’
However Amelia didn’t seem to be the only reason for Matthew’s Channel 5 departure, since a source close to the presenter told MailOnline that he had had ‘a bitter row’ with new production team, ITN Productions.
‘Matthew had enough… he wanted out,’ explained the source. ‘When he refused to back down and issue an apology, the show bosses tried to force him to take a week off to reconsider.
He told them he wasn’t going to do that and tensions reached boiling point.’
The TV host is believed to have created tensions when he refused to publicly apologise for a remark made by a celebrity guest about a transgender campaigner being born a boy.
He was warned that unless he broadcast an apology on the next day’s show, he would not be allowed on air.
As a result, Matthew refused to front the show that week and viewers were simply told he was ‘off sick’.
A spokesman for the star denied he had quit because of this.
In the official statement announcing his departure Wright had said: ‘After almost 18 glorious years on Channel 5 and the show flying high in the ratings, I feel it’s time to move and try my hand at something new.’
Over: His appointment came three months after he said goodbye to his Channel 5 show, The Wright Stuff, which began airing in 2000