R Kelly’s lawyers have complained that the singer is only allowed to see one of his girlfriends at a time while he is held in jail on sex crime charges.
The singer, 52, has been detained in Chicago since July after being refused bail. He also faces charges in New York on a racketeering scheme to kidnap and sexually abuse girls.
Kelly’s attorney filed for a motion on Monday complaining that only one person unrelated to the singer is allowed to visit him at one time over 90 days – so just one of two previous live-in girlfriends at a time can see him.
The motion, filed by attorney Steven Greenberg in US District Court in New York, also asked the judge to reconsider and grant him bail, according to the Chicago Tribune.
R Kelly’s lawyers have complained that the singer is only allowed to see one of his girlfriends at a time while he is being held in jail on federal sex crimes charges.
The motion states: ‘His visits are severely restricted; presently, he is only allowed one unrelated person to visit.
‘In other words, although he lives and has lived with two lady friends, only one of them is allowed to be on his visiting list, and after 90 days he is required to switch.
‘No other friends or professional colleagues are allowed to visit. That is not right.’
His lawyer also complained the R Kelly should be released from prison on health grounds, with the motion stating he is ‘anxious’ and suffering from an untreated hernia and numbness in one of his hands.
Even if the New York judge grants bail, Kelly must also get the Chicago judge to agree to bail before he could be released.
The motion, filed by attorney Steven Greenberg (left) in US District Court in New York, also asked the judge to reconsider and grant him bail
A judge in R. Kelly’s (pictured in court on Tuesday) Illinois sexual assault case has refused to give $100,000 in bail money back to Valencia Love, 47, who paid it in February to secure the singer’s release from jail
It comes after a judge in the singer’s Illinois sexual assault case has refused to give $100,000 in bail money back to a woman who paid it in February to secure his release from jail.
Judge Lawrence Flood said papers that Valencia Love, 47, signed clearly indicated she could lose the money.
Love’s lawyer, John Collins, said in court Tuesday that she didn’t know when she paid 10 per cent of a $1 million bond that Kelly would be charged federally and land in federal jail.
Collins said Love now fears losing all the money as charges against Kelly stack up.
The judge then read sections of papers Love signed warning the bond money could be used for Kelly’s legal fees and that she may never see it again.
Flood also denied a motion to increase the singer’s bond after prosecutors requested to have Kelly’s bond increased to reflect the additional charges he now faces in other states.
DailyMail.com first identified Love as the woman who posted the $100,000 for the singer in late February.
Judge Lawrence Flood (pictured) udge Lawrence Flood read sections of papers Love signed warning the bond money could be used for Kelly’s legal fees and that she may never see it again
Last Thursday, R Kelly faced more legal woes after he decided to skip a court appearance in Minnesota.
A warrant was issued after the singer and his lawyer did not appear in Hennepin County District Court for the first hearing in his latest criminal case.
Hennepin County District Judge Jay Quam issued the warrant as a formality in the case.
Kelly, 52, has yet to file a response to the charges, or any other court documents in the case.
The singer, who is once again behind bars at the MCC Chicago after a brief stint at the MCC Brooklyn, was charged with two counts of sexual misconduct involving a minor under the age of 18 for a 2001 incident in Minnesota last month.
He is also facing federal charges in Illinois and New York, and there are multiple other probes into his alleged assault and abuse of underage girls that are ongoing around the country.
Last week it was reported that Kelly allegedly paid a teenager who asked for his autograph $200 to get naked and then asked to rape her in his Minneapolis hotel
Judge Lawrence Flood said papers that Valencia Love (right), 47, signed clearly indicated she could lose the money. Her lawyer said in court Tuesday that she didn’t know that when she paid 10 per cent of a $1million bond that Kelly would be charged federally and land in federal jail
Hennepin County District Attorney Mike Freeman said that after investigating a tip that came from Chicago, his office discovered that Kelly allegedly paid a teenager, who asked for his autograph, $200 to get naked and then asked to perform acts of rape on her in his Minneapolis hotel.
Kelly’s lawyer responded to this new charge by stating: ‘Give me a break. This is absurd.’
Kelly (pictured with his lawyer while leaving Cook County Jail) faces 195 years in prison if convicted on the Illinois charges
Freeman admitted the case would be a difficult one to prosecute since the evidence was 20 years old.
It will likely be some time however before Kelly is stands trial. Last month, a federal judge ruled that the singer would not be released from prison ahead of his trials in Illinois and New York.
Federal prosecutors in the Illinois case revealed that they are in possession of three tapes which show the singer raping a girl, 14, and then subjecting her to ‘sadomasochistic abuse’.
‘There is no question that it is the defendant on these videos,’ said Assistant US Attorney Angel Krull just before the judge made his ruling.
Kelly is seen in close-up and two of the tapes were filmed in rooms that are distinctly similar to ones in the singer’s former home, according to Krull.
Prosecutors also said that the victim’s age is said fifteen times on one of the rape tapes.
Kelly entered a plea of not guilty. He faces 195 years in prison if convicted on the Illinois charges.
Prosecutors from the Northern District of Illinois confirmed that the minor female who was believed to be on the rape tape that resulted in Kelly’s 2008 Cook County trial is now cooperating with authorities.
That young woman has now gone on the record prosecutors have said, and there are five witnesses to corroborate her story.
She did not testify at that 2008 trial, and the refusal of both her and her family to speak with authorities was viewed as the reason for Kelly’s acquittal on child porn charges.
The tape from that trial is not one of the three that prosecutors have in their possession.