A Virginia woman who traveled to the Dominican Republic for her honeymoon has become the latest to mysteriously fall ill while visiting the country.
Skylar and Derek Martin were married on June 8 in Hanover County.
A week later the couple headed to the Dominican Republic for a week-long, all-inclusive stay at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Punta Cana, according to
Derek said they ‘hung out at the beach’ on the Friday of their trip and everything was ‘lovely’.
But Saturday night turned into a complete nightmare shortly after they had dinner at a Japanese hibachi restaurant at the resort.
Skylar told her husband she wasn’t feeling well. Around midnight Skylar said she woke up and ‘it was extreme vomiting’.
Scroll down for video
Skylar Martin (pictured, in the hospital in Dominican Republic), of Virginia, who traveled to the Dominican Republic for her honeymoon with her husband, Derek, has become the latest to mysteriously fall ill while visiting the country
Skylar and Derek Martin (left) were married on June 8 in Hanover County. A week later the couple headed to the Dominican Republic for a week-long, all-inclusive stay at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Punta Cana
After eating at a Japanese hibachi restaurant at the resort (pictured). Skylar told her husband she wasn’t feeling well started ‘extreme vomiting’.
She told the station that she ‘had a fever’ and was ‘in and out of consciousness for a while’.
The vomiting lasted for about six hours before they decided to go to the resort’s clinic.
They were then told to go to the hospital immediately.
After several tests, Skylar’s blood test results showed a huge spike in one of the components that make up her white blood cells, according to NBC.
Doctors speculated that it could’ve been a ‘bacterial blood infection’.
Shortly after the hospital visit, the newlyweds cut their trip short and headed back home to Virginia where they landed on Monday.
The hotel paid for their trips to and from the hospital as well as the extra cost to change their flights.
Skylar’s illness comes after a Mississippi woman revealed that she fell ill on her holiday to Dominican Republic last month.
The couple (pictured) went to the hospital where doctors did several tests. Doctors speculated that it could’ve been a ‘bacterial blood infection’
Shortly after the hospital visit, the newlyweds (pictured) cut their trip short and headed back home to Virginia where they landed on Monday. The hotel paid for their trips to and from the hospital as well as the extra cost to change their flights
Skylar’s illness comes after Tracy McCraw, of Mississippi, revealed that she fell ill on her holiday to Dominican Republic last month. McCraw said she had flu-like symptoms during the five-day trip to Punta Cana in May. McCraw stayed at the Royalton Punta Cana (pictured)
Tracy McCraw, of Madison, said the flu-like symptoms she was suffering following her disastrous five-day trip to Punta Cana were present in other passengers on her journey home last month.
‘It wasn’t like you usually go on a plane and you’re leaving and see other people sick on the plane,’ McCraw, 49, told the
‘There was one lady next to me who was all bundled up and I could tell she was sick. It was obvious.’
McCraw said she arrived at the Royalton Punta Cana resort on May 21 for a trip to celebrate her daughter’s high school graduation with a group of other parents.
But after just one day she became violently ill with a 102-degree fever and stomach cramps.
‘It wasn’t like a stomach virus, and I’ve had the stomach virus and food poisoning before,’ McCraw said.
The mother eventually opted not to visit the local hospital and suffer in her hotel room, fearing the medical conditions would make her symptoms worse.
‘I saw the hospital and it seemed like it would be worse if I had gone in there,’ McCraw added.
Her complaints come after an eighth American tourist died in mysterious circumstances while vacationing in the Dominican Republic.
The State Department confirmed that Joseph Allen, 55, of Avenel, New Jersey, was found dead in his hotel room at the Terra Linda hotel in Sosua.
This is a different resort to where the other Americans have died.
Three American tourists have died at the Grand Bahia Príncipe La Romana, two at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana, one at Excellence Resorts in Punta Cana and one at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville.
The FBI is reportedly currently investigating whether the dead tourists had drunk tainted liquor.
Joseph Allen, 55, of Avenel, New Jersey, was found dead in his hotel room at the Terra Linda hotel in Sosua
The map above shows the five resorts where American tourists have died mysteriously over the past year
At least five members of the 40-strong group from Deer Creek High School fell ill – the group are pictured above on the beach
A seniors trip from Oklahoma to the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana saw at least five members of the 40-strong group of graduates from Deer Creek High School and adults get sick after flying out there on June 8.
Allen was reportedly in good health and would visit the Dominican Republic multiple times a year.
Reed said: ‘The families need answers. We deserve answers… My brother was my best friend. I spoke to him every day. This is killing me.’
‘I just don’t want them to suppress anything, especially with them embalming the body,’ Reed said.
‘We want answers. We’ve reached out to everybody, including Senator (Robert) Menendez to try to get some help from anyone.’
Allen’s family released a statement Monday saying they believe he could be ‘the victim of a wrongful death’.
TIMELINE: American tourists who mysteriously died or were struck down with illnesses in the Dominican Republic
June 2018: Yvette Monique Sport, 51, of Glenside, Pennsylvania, dies after drinking from the minibar at the Grand Bahia Príncipe La Romana in Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic. Family said the previously healthy Sport had the drink, went to sleep and never woke up.
June 2018: Kaylynn Knull, 29, and Tom Schwander, 33, woke up in their hotel room at the Grand Bahia Principe with a pounding headache. They returned to the room later in the day, to find a ‘chemical smell’. The couple changed their flights and flew home early.
July 2018: David Harrison, 45, dies while on vacation at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana to celebrate his wedding anniversary. He woke up struggling to breathe and covered in sweat. He died that same day. His widow said he’d visited the doctor before the trip who’d given him a clean bill of health.
October, 2018: Awilda Montes, 43, of New York, claims she drank a bottle of soda from the minibar at the Grand Bahia Principe Resort in La Romana that ‘turned out to be bleach.’ She survived but suffered chemical burns.
April 10, 2019 : Robert Bell Wallace, 67, of California, became ill almost immediately after drinking an alcoholic beverage from his in-room minibar at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana – the same hotel as Harrison.
April 14: Wallace dies in hospital four days after falling ill.
May 25: Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, of Pennsylvannia, dies within hours of consuming a drink from a resort minibar at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville.
May 25: Cynthia Day, 49, and Nathaniel Holmes, 63, of Maryland, check into the Grand Bahia Principe Hotel, La Romana.
May 30: Day and Holmes are found dead in their rooms at the Grand Bahia Principe Hotel, La Romana.
June 10: Leyla Cox, 53, of Staten Island, New York, is found dead in her hotel room at Excellence Resorts in Punta Cana. The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo informed her family that she died of a heart attack, but her son, William Cox, says he is suspicious.
June 13: Joseph Allen, 55, of Avenel, New Jersey, was found dead in his hotel room at the Terra Linda hotel in Sosua.
June 15: Mark Hurlbut Jr. told