Chicago Police have released two 911 calls made by Jussie Smollett’s friend on the night the Empire actor claimed he was attacked.
The unidentified caller tells police that Smollett was jumped as he left a Subway restaurant by assailants who ‘put a noose around his neck’.
The report was made about 40 minutes after Smollett returned to his apartment with the noose still around his neck.
The seemingly-panicked friend said that he worked for Smollett and was reporting the incident on his behalf, adding that the actor was reluctant to make a report.
Chicago Police on Wednesday released the two 911 call smade by Jussie Smollett’s friend on the night the Empire actor (above on March 14) claimed he was attacked
‘I just need the police to come by, I work for an artist, I don’t really want to say his name,’ the caller told a 911 dispatcher.
‘He states he went to Subway … and two guys, somebody jumped him or something like that. I just want to report it and make sure he’s alright.’
‘I just think he’s startled … They put a noose around his neck. They didn’t do anything with it, but it’s around his neck. That’s really f***ed up. Sorry, for saying it like that.’
The calls were released three months after Chicago authorities accused police of staging the January 29 attack and charged him with filing a false police report.
The 16 counts were later dropped by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office without any admission of guilt.
The city of Chicago is in the process of suing Smollett for the cost of the police investigation.
Newly released documents revealed that prosecutors told Chicago police detectives that a possible deal with the Empire actor was in the works a month before charges against him were dropped.
The 2,000 pages of case files, made public last week by Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, indicated that detectives investigating Smollett’s claim he was the victim of a hate crime were told by Cook County prosecutors a deal with Smollett could include a $10,000 fine and community service.
The documents included surveillance photos of the Empire actor in his Mercedes, allegedly driving to do a ‘run through’ of the attack police say he staged.
The photos are of Smollett’s black Mercedes and were taken on January 27 in Chicago at around 12.30pm.
Smollett is shown in his black Mercedes on January 27, allegedly driving to pick up the brothers he is accused of paying to attack him in a staged, racist and homophobic attack
The actor’s car was identified by police when he was claiming he was a victim of an attack by unknown assailants. The photographs were released on Friday
The attack was meant to happen the next day, on January 28th, but was set back because Smollett’s flight was delayed from
The brothers say he was angry that he did not receive more attention when he got a racist and homophobic letter from Empire.
He was on his way, according to police, to pick up brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo to do a ‘run through’ of the attack they allegedly staged together on January 29.
Smollett maintains it was a legitimate attack and that he was the victim.
The photos of his car were released on Friday among thousands of other documents obtained by DailyMail.com via an FOIA request and under the decision of a judge to unseal all the police and prosecutor documents attached to the case.
There are also photographs of the white rope the brothers placed around Smollett’s neck and the bottle of hot sauce containing bleach which they then discarded.
A judge earlier this month decided to reverse the seal because, as they put it, Smollett was no longer entitled to privacy.
Last week, the Chicago Police Department released 400 of the thousands of pages it has on file.
Police are still redacting videos and photographs which they will release this week.
Also in the newly-released case files is this photograph of the rope purchased by the brothers to place around Smollett’s neck
This bottle of hot sauce contained the bleach the brothers poured on Smollett’s sweatshirt
Empire co-creator Lee Daniels announced Tuesday that Smollett would not be returning for the sixth and final season of the show.
Responding to reports that writers were including Smollett in the back half of the 18-episode season, This is not factual. Jussie will NOT be returning to Empire.’
Smollett’s co-stars on Empire have stood by him throughout the scandal and even penned an open letter in April requesting that he be brought back to the show.
‘Together, as a united front, we stand with Jussie Smollett and ask that our co-star, brother and friend be brought back for our sixth season of Empire,’ read the letter, which was signed by Taraji P Henson, Terrence Howard, Bryshere Y Grey, Trai Byers, Gabourey Sidibe and Nicole Ari Parker.
The actors went on to praise Smollett’s charity work and defend him against recent allegations, writing: ‘He is kind. He is compassionate. He is honest and above all he is filled with integrity.
Empire co-creator Lee Daniels confirmed Tuesday that Smollett would not be returning for the sixth and final season of the show
Daniels took to Twitter in response to a reports in Variety claiming that writers were forming ideas with the expectation that Smollett would appear at some point in the 18-episode season