One woman who went through the terrifying experience of getting roofied at a Los Angeles bar later detailed her experience and the common symptoms to help others in similar situations.
‘I noticed I wasn’t feeling good and couldn’t quite put my finger on it because I was uneducated on the symptoms of being roofied,’ she wrote in a now-viral thread. ‘So I just want to make an informational thread for my ladies that like to go out.’
Scary situation: A woman on Twitter detailed her experience with getting roofied at a bar on Saturday night (stock photo)
Important: Twitter user Sierra Oliveira said she wanted to use her experience to explain to others the symptoms in case it happens to them
Worth knowing: She used her thread to better explain the date rape drug and what people might experience on it
The thread went on to list the symptoms women and men might experience if they also are roofied without their knowledge.
Her purpose, Sierra explained, was so that others would recognize what’s happening to them before the situation gets worse.
Scared: Sierra (pictured) confessed to still feeling disoriented on Sunday after getting unwillingly drugged on Saturday
‘Rohypnol AKA roofies is a popular date rape drug which acts as a tranquilizer and is almost 10 times stronger than Valium,’ Sierra explained in a tweet. She then detailed how the drug produces no color, taste or smell — which makes it impossible for the victim to detect the roofie.
Following her symptoms, the woman explained how typically it takes 20 to 30 minutes for the drug to kick in. People experience a peak in their symptoms around the two-hour mark and can feel the effects for up to 12 hours.
‘The MILD EFFECTS that can happen include severe confusion, dizziness, memory problems including blackouts, impaired reaction time, headaches, sedation, slurred speech,’ Sierra wrote.
But symptoms can get worse for the user if the date rape drug is combined with alcohol. This, Sierra explained, could lead to an overdose.
In a tweet, she explained: ‘Signs of an overdose include mental confusion, lethargy, reduced reflexes, loss of coordination, respiratory failure, extreme fatigue.’
Long-lasting: The thread explained to people how long the drug tends to last and what they should expect
Terrible: Effects of the drug include slurred speech, confusion and dizziness. Sierra said she had a hard time remembering where she was when it happened
Extreme: More harmful effects happen if the drug is mixed with alcohol. The drug was slipped in Sierra’s drink, so she also experienced severe fatigue and mental confusion
Supportive: Luckily, Sierra was with her friends who were able to help her leave the bar
Never forget: On Twitter, Sierra implored other women to avoid going to a bar alone or leaving their drink unattended
Traumatic: She confessed to feeling scared as she was unable to talk or form a thought
Lasting effects: On Sunday, Sierra still felt disoriented from the drug slipped in her drink
Sierra noticed during her night out in Los Angeles that she was displaying symptoms that could coincide with an overdose. Combining alcohol and the suspected drug in her cup made her feel disoriented and extremely fatigued.
Luckily, the woman was out with friends who could help remove her from the situation.
‘I am so grateful I had my friend with me who was able to take me home immediately when I noticed something wasn’t right, because of the combination of alcohol with the drug I had extremely severe side effects which included a lot of the overdose symptoms I listed above,’ she wrote.
The woman than implored others to pay attention when they are out and avoid going out alone in case a similar situation happens.
‘Ladies, NEVER go to the bar alone,’ she wrote. ‘DO NOT set your drink down. BE AWARE of your drink at ALL TIMES. The second you don’t feel right inform the people you’re with. WATCH OUT for men who you reject or seem to always be near where you end up in the club/bar.
‘I was scared, I couldn’t talk or form a thought, I was exhausted and yawned over and over again, my eyes were heavy, my vision went out, I couldn’t stand or walk, I would forget where I was or how I got into the car or back to where I was staying, and so much more.’
Innovative: The thread by Sierra quickly went viral and inspired others to share ways people can detect if something was slipped in their drink
Loving: People also commented how glad they were that the woman was not harmed
True: But another person reminded Sierra that men also get roofied without their knowledge. She later clarified her thread saying she wanted the advice to help anyone
Horrible: Other people used the Twitter thread to share their own experiences of getting drugged
Roofie symptoms lasted for Sierra into Sunday where she confessed to still feeling exhausted and disoriented.
After posting about the experiencing on Sunday, the tweet quickly went viral and was shared more than 20,000 times so others could benefit from the woman’s advice.
Sierra later clarified her advice was not gender specific and hoped both men and women could benefit from her thread detailing the drug.
The informative thread not only inspired people to share their own stories of getting drugged, but it also included helpful links from others of products that could help detect a roofie in a drink.
People also commented to express their relief Sierra was able to remove herself from the situation before something worse happened to her while on the drug. Although the experience was traumatic, Sierra was able to use her information to hopefully help others.