The family of an unarmed black man shot to death by Sacramento cops in his grandmother’s backyard has filed a wrongful death lawsuit seeking $20million.
Stephon Clark, 22, was racially profiled and the officers used excessive force in the shooting, according to the federal lawsuit filed Monday.
The suit names officers Terrence Mercadal, Jared Robinet and the city as defendants after dad-of-two Stephon was killed in a hail of around 20 bullets.
The federal lawsuit alleges officers Mercadal and Robinet failed to identify themselves as officers. It also accuses them of giving Clark no proper warning before firing their guns.
Scroll down for video.
The family of Stephon Clark, 22, the unarmed black man shot to death by Sacramento cops filed a $20m wrongful death lawsuit against the city and two police officers on Monday
Rev. Al Sharpton, left, comforts Stephon’s devastated brother Stevante during his funeral service in March last year. Stephon’s death sparked widespread outrage and protests
It reads: ‘Plaintiffs have also been deprived of the lifelong love, companionship, comfort, support, society, care and sustenance of [Clark] and will continue to be so deprived for the remainder of their natural lives.’
The lawsuit, filed by attorneys Dale Galipo, Brian Panish and Ben Crump, adds: ‘Both Officers Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet did not give (Clark) a verbal warning that deadly force would be used prior to shooting (Clark) multiple times, despite it being feasible to do so and they did not issue appropriate commands to (Clark).
‘Further, the involved officers did not announce themselves as police prior to the shooting. (Clark) never verbally threatened anyone prior to being fatally shot by Officers Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet.’
It follows an earlier claim against the city seeking at least $35million,
An autopsy by the Sacramento County Coroner’s office revealed Clark was hit seven times, including three times in the back. Clark’s family say their independent autopsy found he was shot eight times, six times in his back.
Clark, pictured with his two children, was shot dead on March 18 last year in the backyard of his grandmother’s home. Officers were responding to a 911 call of someone breaking car windows when they encountered Clark
Officers fired 20 times at Clark, after chasing him through the streets at night, into the backyard of his grandparents’ house (pictured after being shot)
Police shot Clark on March 18 last year in the backyard of his grandmother’s home. Officers said they thought he had a gun but later found he was holding only a cell phone.
Clark was running away from officers when he shot 20 times. The officers were responding to a 911 call of someone breaking car windows when they encountered Clark.
Police have revealed bodycam video footage of the horrific shooting that saw the two cops shout ‘Gun! Gun! Gun!’ before opening fire in the darkened backyard.
In the clip, they do not identify themselves as officers and hail down fire while still asking Clark to raise his hands.
Another clip, taken from the police helicopter and shot in infrared, shows Clark jumping a neighbor’s fence to get into his family’s backyard.
Two officers are spotted moving along the side of the house. They then confront him and open fire. Clark collapses to the ground.
Cops said they opened fire because he was walking towards them holding an object they believed to be a gun, saying they feared for their safety. It was found to be a cell-phone.
City Attorney Susana Alcala Wood said in a statement: ‘Out of deference to the judicial process and because this is a matter of active litigation, we must respectfully decline to comment.’
Sequita Thompson, center, discusses the shooting of her grandson, Stephon Clark, shortly after his death in March last year
Clark’s distraught brother spoke to the congregation and chanted his sibling’s name at the funeral. He is pictured here speaking before a meeting of the Sacramento City Council
Attorney Benjamin Crump, who represents the family of police shooting victim Stephon Clark
Protests took place near daily following Clark’s death, calling for cops responsible to face criminal charges
Marchers calling for the indictment of two Sacramento police officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark, make their way through downtown Sacramento in April last year
Stephon’s death sparked widespread outrage and protests.
Stevante Clark, his distraught older brother, took over the mic from Alice Huffman of the California NAACP as she spoke during his funeral at a Sacramento church.
The 25-year-old led the crowd of around 500 to chant his dead sibling’s name, while vowing that the ‘Clark family will not be forgotten’.
A group of Black Lives Matter protesters crashed the wedding of one of the officers after learning his identity. As the officer and his groomsmen got ready ahead of the ceremony, the protesters barged into the room yelling ‘murderer’.
DailyMail.com have contacted Sacramento police for comment.