Sweethearts – those chalky little candies with messages on them – won’t be on store shelves this Valentine’s Day.
The New England Confectionary Co. – or Necco – had been making the popular candies since 1886. But the company filed for bankruptcy protection last July.
Ohio-based Spangler Candy Co. bought Necco in May. But Spangler said Thursday that it didn’t have time to bring Sweethearts to market this Valentine’s season.
Sweethearts – those chalky little candies with messages on them – won’t be on store shelves this Valentine’s Day
CEO Kirk Vashaw said Spangler wants to make sure Sweethearts ‘meet customer expectations’ when they return to market, in time for the 2020 holiday season.
He didn’t say what changes Spangler plans to make or when they’ll go back on sale.
Competitors like Brach’s are still making conversation hearts.
Production company Necco filed bankruptcy in July and by the time the candies were bought by Spangler, it was too late to restart production
But online retailer CandyStore.com says Sweethearts were by far the most popular brand, commanding 80 percent of U.S. market for candy hearts.
Approximately 8million Sweethearts are made annually. They are all sold in the six weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day,
Spangler said that any conversation hearts seen in stores were produced before July 2018.