The staff at London’s Dandelyan bar clearly didn’t rest on their laurels after coming second in the World’s Best Bar Awards 2017.
Because it has been named the best bar in the world in 2018, MailOnline Travel can exclusively reveal.
The Perrier-sponsored World’s 50 Best Bars awards was held in a glittering ceremony at London’s iconic Roundhouse today – and it’s London that dominates this year’s list, with U.S watering holes also featuring heavily in the prestigious ranking.
Cheers! London’s Dandelyan bar, pictured, has been named the best bar in the world in 2018
Dandelyan, which is housed in the luxury Mondrian hotel, debuted on the top 50 list at No.50 in 2015, then jumped to No3 in 2016. It was created by forward-thinking cocktail creator and bartender Ryan Chetiyawardana
Two of Dandelyan’s cocktail creations, left and right. The focus of Dandelyan is ‘to bring a stylish neighbourhood vibe to the glamour of the Mondrian Hotel on London’s Southbank, with sustainability and nature to the fore’. Since opening in September 2014, Dandelyan has launched five cocktail menus all with a focus on botany
And there was much rejoicing: The Dandelyan team celebrate being named the world’s best bar at London’s Roundhouse
Hitting the right notes: Last year’s No.1, American Bar at The Savoy, pictured, now claims the No.2 position
The staff at American Bar pose proudly in front of the bar. It’s said to be one of the most historically important bars open today
The cocktails at the American Bar almost count as works of art. This one is called Curtain Call
Dandelyan, which is housed in the luxury Mondrian hotel, debuted on the top 50 list at No.50 in 2015, then jumped to No3 in 2016.
Created by forward-thinking cocktail creator and bartender Ryan Chetiyawardana, the focus of Dandelyan is ‘to bring a stylish neighbourhood vibe to the glamour of the Mondrian Hotel on London’s Southbank, with sustainability and nature to the fore’.
Since opening in September 2014, Dandelyan has launched five cocktail menus all with a focus on botany.
This week Mr Chetiyawardana posted a message on social media in which he explained that the bar will soon be ‘killed off’ and reborn on the same site with the same team but as a reinvented concept.
Overall, London celebrates 10 bars on the 2018 list, welcoming four newcomers – Scout (No.28), Three Sheets (No.29), Swift (No.46) and Coupette (No.18), which also wins the Best New Opening Award, sponsored by Thomas Henry.
Connaught Bar (No.5) also receives the Heering Legend of the List title, which recognises the bar that has performed most consistently over the 10-year history of the list. Last year’s No.1, American Bar at The Savoy, now claims the No.2 position, while established London destinations including Bar Termini (No.6), Oriole (No.17) and Happiness Forgets (No.35) also remain on the list.
The US boasts 10 bars on the list with The NoMad (No.4) in New York crowned Best Bar in North America sponsored by Michter’s Distillery, for the second consecutive year. New York’s Dante cracks the top 10, climbing seven places to No.9, while Employees Only jumps 11 places back to No.26. The city’s impressive line-up is completed by Attaboy (No.15), The Dead Rabbit (No.16), and BlackTail (No.41).
The US boasts 10 bars on the list with The NoMad (No.4) in New York crowned Best Bar in North America sponsored by Michter’s Distillery, for the second consecutive year
The bar staff at The NoMad work their magic. The bar’s website says: ‘Award-winning Bar Director Leo Robitschek has created a beverage program that celebrates classically-focused cocktails, while delving into two new arenas: festive, large-format drinks and a selection of reserve cocktails crafted with rare spirits. An extensive selection of both approachable and sought-after wines and beers are available as well’
New York’s Dante, pictured, cracks the top 10, climbing seven places to No.9, while Employees Only jumps 11 places back to No.26. The city’s impressive line-up is completed by Attaboy (No.15), The Dead Rabbit (No.16), and BlackTail (No.41)
San Francisco is represented by two bars: Tommy’s (No.40) and Trick Dog (No.44). Chicago celebrates a new entry on to the list with the debut of Lost Lake at No.50. Miami’s Sweet Liberty climbs six places to No.21 with the industry paying special tribute to John Lermayer, one of its founders who sadly passed away earlier this year, with the Industry Icon Award, sponsored by Seedlip.
Spain also has plenty to celebrate this year with two new entries on the list. Paradiso from Barcelona enters the top 50 at No.37, having been named the One To Watch in 2017, while Salmon Guru from Madrid enters at No.47 – a significant jump following its debut at No.82 in 2017.
The city of Paris is represented by three bars again this year with Le Syndicat jumping an impressive 10 places to No.24. Little Red Door now sits at No.33 and Candelaria at No.42.
Miami’s Sweet Liberty, pictured, climbs six places to No.21 with the industry paying special tribute to John Lermayer, one of its founders who sadly passed away earlier this year, with the Industry Icon Award, sponsored by Seedlip
Sweet Liberty’s interior is definitely on the hip side – it’s an industrial twist on the classic sixties diner theme
San Francisco is represented in the top 50 list by two bars: Tommy’s (No.40) and Trick Dog (No.44). In this image the staff of Tommy’s express their gratitude for featuring in the ranking – and remind San Franciscans how lucky they are to have them
Chicago celebrates a new entry on to the list with the debut of Lost Lake, pictured, at No.50
Singapore leads Asia’s ranking with five bars featured. Manhattan (No.3) enters the top three and claims the title of Best Bar in Asia, sponsored by Hennessy. Singapore is also represented by Atlas (No.8), Operation Dagger (No.23) and 28 HongKong Street (No.34), while Native jumps 34 places to No.13 to take the Highest Climber Award, sponsored by Nikka Whisky.
To add to the city-state’s accolades, Singapore-based bartender Joe Schofield, recently of Tippling Club (No.58) and now heading the Sensorium project, has been named the Altos Bartenders’ Bartender for his ground-breaking flavour developments.
La Factoría in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, comes in at No.36, while Mexico City’s Licorería Limantour climbs to an impressive No.11. Fifty Mils, also located in the Mexican capital, enters the ranking at No.45.
Florería Atlántico (No.14) from Buenos Aires, Argentina, is named Best Bar in South America, sponsored by Asahi. Joining the success in South America is Carnaval in Lima, Peru (No.68), which takes home the Campari One To Watch Award.
Licorería Limantour, pictured, in Mexico City is the eleventh best bar in the world, according to this year’s awards
Florería Atlántico (No.14), pictured, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, is named Best Bar in South America
Sante! Le Syndicat, pictured, in Paris, is the highest-ranking French bar on the list
The exterior of Le Syndicat certainly gives nothing away about the cocktail-making magic that goes on inside
Singapore leads Asia’s ranking with five bars featured. Manhattan (No.3), pictured, enters the top three and claims the title of Best Bar in Asia
The exterior of Manhattan certainly makes a statement. You know you’re entering a classy establishment as you cross the threshold
Atlas, pictured, in Singapore ranks No8 on the list. But its interior is surely the grandest of them all
Drinkers at Atlas can quaff away in surroundings that are fit for royalty. To add to Singapore’s accolades, Singapore-based bartender Joe Schofield, recently of Tippling Club (No.58) and now heading the Sensorium project, has been named the Altos Bartenders’ Bartender for his ground-breaking flavour developments
WORLD’S BEST BAR AWARD 2018 – THE HIGHLIGHTS
- Dandelyan claims The World’s Best Bar Award, sponsored by Perrier.
- The 2018 list features 12 new bars; 10 making their debut, two returning to the list.
- The UK and USA lead the list, each featuring 10 bars.
- Four new London bars enter the ranking – Coupette (No.18), Scout (No.28), Three Sheets (No.29) and Swift (No.46).
- Connaught Bar (No.5) from London is named the 2018 Heering Legend of the List.
- Entering the list at No.10 is The Old Man in Hong Kong, winning the Highest New Entry Award, sponsored by Torres.
- The late John Lermayer, co-founder of Sweet Liberty in Miami (No.21), is honoured at the ceremony with the Industry Icon Award, sponsored by Seedlip.
- Himkok in Oslo, Norway (No.19), is the inaugural recipient of the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award at the global awards.
- Joe Schofield, recently of Singapore’s Tippling Club (No.58), is named the Altos Bartenders’ Bartender.
- Carnaval in Lima, Peru (No.68) is named the Campari One To Watch.
Himkok (No.19), in Oslo, is the recipient of the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award.
This year sees the introduction of this award, presented to the bar with the highest overall sustainability rating, as audited by the Sustainable Restaurant Association. Its ‘Flavours of Norway’ menu is a celebration of Norwegian drinks-making craft and a tribute to the ingredients it sources from independent farmers and small producers across the country, designed to keep the local flavours and traditions alive.
Other notable achievements include the iconic Black Pearl in Melbourne (No.30) honoured as the Best Bar in Australasia, sponsored by Tanqueray. Central Station, in Beirut, Lebanon, re-enters the list at No.27 and is named Best Bar in the Middle East and Africa, sponsored by Botran.
Himkok (No.19), pictured, in Oslo, is the recipient of the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award
This is the interior of Paradiso in Barcelona – Spain’s best bar, according to the 2018 awards
A bartender at Paradiso is pictured here alchemising something exotic. The bar came 37th overall
The iconic Black Pearl, pictured, in Melbourne (No.30) is honoured this year as the Best Bar in Australasia
Central Station, pictured, in Beirut, Lebanon, re-enters the list at No.27 and is named Best Bar in the Middle East and Africa
The Clumsies, pictured, in Athens, is the world’s seventh best bar, according to the awards
WHO DECIDES WHICH BARS MAKE THE WORLD’S BEST BARS LIST?
The list is compiled by votes from The World’s 50 Best Bars Academy, comprised of more than 500 drinks experts, including renowned bartenders and consultants, drinks writers and cocktail specialists from around the world.
The Academy of voters is spread across the globe with the distribution of voters designed to reflect the relative development and sophistication of the drinks sector, and the concentration of quality bars, in each region.
Each voter casts seven votes, based on their best bar experiences of the previous 18 months, of which at least three must be for bars located outside the voter’s country of residence.
Voters are required to remain anonymous and voting is confidential.
William Drew, Group Editor of The World’s 50 Best Bars, said: ‘Congratulations to all the bars that have been honoured at tonight’s event. It is our privilege to host the Oscars of the bar world and we are thrilled that the key players from 48 of the top 50 bars, along with many others from the cocktail community, have travelled across the globe from their respective homes to be part of this unique event, which brings together the best bartenders on the planet under one roof for an evening of celebration.
‘The awards are designed to showcase the world’s finest bars, the talented people behind them and the unforgettable experiences they serve up.
‘Our aim is to illuminate the artistry of bartending and provide a definitive guide to the finest global destinations for the discerning drinker. The list incorporates grand hotel bars, secretive speakeasies, quirky salons and classic drinking dens – a true celebration of the diversity and universality of drinks culture and a reflection of new and developing bar scenes all over the world.’
THE WORLD’S 100 BEST BARS 2018
1. Dandelyan – London, UK
2. American Bar – London, UK
3. Manhattan – Singapore
4. The NoMad – New York, USA
5. Connaught Bar – London, UK
6. Bar Termini – London, UK
7. The Clumsies – Athens, Greece
8. Atlas – Singapore
9. Dante – New York, USA
10. The Old Man – Hong Kong, China
11. Licorería Limantour – Mexico City, Mexico
12. Bar High Five – Tokyo, Japan
13. Native – Singapore
14. Florería Atlántico – Buenos Aires, Argentina
15. Attaboy – New York, USA
16. The Dead Rabbit – New York, USA
17. Oriole – London, UK
18. Coupette – London, UK
19. Himkok – Oslo, Norway
20. Speak Low – Shanghai, China
21. Sweet Liberty – Miami, USA
22. Baba Au Rum – Athens, Greece
23. Operation Dagger – Singapore
24. Le Syndicat – Paris, France
25. Lost & Found – Nicosia, Cyprus
26. Employees Only – New York, USA
27. Central Station – Beirut, Lebanon
28. Scout – London, UK
29. Three Sheets – London, UK
30. Black Pearl – Melbourne, Australia
31. Tales and Spirits – Amsterdam, Netherlands
32. Linje Tio – Stockholm, Sweden
33. Little Red Door – Paris, France
34. 28 HongKong Street – Singapore
35. Happiness Forgets – London, UK
36. La Factoría – Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
37. Paradiso – Barcelona, Spain
38. Indulge Experimental Bistro – Taipei, Taiwan
39. El Copitas – St Petersburg, Russia
40. Tommy’s – San Francisco, USA
41. BlackTail – New York, USA
42. Candelaria – Paris, France
43. Schumann’s – Munich, Germany
44. Trick Dog – San Francisco, USA
45. Fifty Mils – Mexico City, Mexico
46. Swift – London, UK
47. Salmon Guru – Madrid, Spain
48. Buck and Breck – Berlin, Germany
49. Bar Benfiddich – Tokyo, Japan
50. Lost Lake – Chicago, USA
51. Sober Company – Shanghai, China
52. Jerry Thomas Speakeasy – Rome, Italy
53. Presidente – Buenos Aires, Argentina
54. Quinary – Hong Kong, China
55. The Bamboo Bar At Mandarin Oriental – Bangkok
56. ABV – San Francisco, USA
57. The Gibson – London, UK
58. Tippling Club – Singapore
59. Dry Martini – Barcelona, Spain
60. The Broken Shaker – Miami, USA
61. Panda & Sons – Edinburgh, UK
62. Lobster Bar & Grill – Hong Kong, China
63. Bar Orchard Ginza – Tokyo, Japan
64. Charles H. – Seoul, South Korea
65. Bar Trench – Tokyo, Japan
66. Alice Cheongdam – Seoul, South Korea
67. Bramble – Edinburgh, UK
68. Carnaval – Lima, Peru
69. Zuma – Dubai, UAE
70. Bar Raval – Toronto, Canada
71. Guilhotina – São Paulo, Brazil
72. Untitled – London, UK
73. Danico – Paris, France
74. Amor y Amargo – New York, USA
75. Bulletin Place – Sydney, Australia
76. Gibson – Singapore
77. Mace – New York, USA
78. The Baxter Inn – Sydney, Australia
79. The Bar With No Name – London, UK
80. 1930 – Milan, Italy
81. Anvil – Houston, USA
82. SubAstor – São Paulo, Brazil
83. Aviary – Chicago, USA
84. The Long Island Bar – New York, USA
85. Le Chamber – Seoul, South Korea
86. Frank Bar – São Paulo, Brazil
87. Two Schmucks – Barcelona, Spain
88. Herbs and Rye – Las Vegas, USA
89. Aviary – New York, USA
90. Dr. Stravinski – Barcelona, Spain
91. Maison Premiere – New York, USA
92. Dirty Dick – Paris, France
93. The Other Room – Singapore
94. Imperial Craft – Tel Aviv, Israel
95. Above Board – Melbourne, Australia
96. PDT – New York, USA
97. Leyenda – New York, USA
98. Hanky Panky – Mexico City, Mexico
99. Nottingham Forest – Milan, Italy
100. Potato Head Beach Club – Bali, Indonesia