The Premier League threw up loads of speaking factors and drama over the weekend.
Right here, Amitai Winehouse assesses ten issues we discovered from the second weekend of the Premier League season.
1. Previous to the sport towards Brighton,
It was focused at Manchester Metropolis after his supposed position because the villain of their documentary sequence.
However Manchester United usually are not precisely strugglers on the outdated monetary entrance. They chased a brand new central defender this summer time, Mourinho believing that might enhance his facet significantly.
Manchester United’s defence struggled and conceded three first-half objectives at Brighton
But they began the 2 defenders he has dropped at the membership in his three seasons, Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof.
Neither impressed, a mixed £50m outlay leading to 4 tackles between them.
Ought to United actually have thrown more cash on the downside this summer time? It appears in Mourinho’s case, shopping for prime gamers may be a difficulty too.
2. Arsenal could not have gotten the end result they needed towards Chelsea however there have been some real positives for Unai Emery to take from the competition.
Matteo Guendouzi, at 19, was his facet’s greatest midfielder. When he hooked one at half-time, it was Granit Xhaka.
When he needed to get Aaron Ramsey on the pitch to pressure Chelsea again as wave after wave of assault crashed towards the Arsenal field, he took off Mesut Ozil.
And for Arsenal followers who’ve been decrying a scarcity of ardour, his response to Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s early miss is telling. He screamed, pounded the ground in frustration, however then received up and tried to encourage his team-mate.
Matteo Guendouzi was a shiny spot for Arsenal within the defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge
3. Elsewhere, Arsenal’s attacking motion can solely be considered an early plus from Emery’s reign.
They regarded under-coached going ahead underneath Arsene Wenger. The veteran didn’t appear to subscribe to the extra trendy notion of pre-planned passing strikes.
Emery, then again, exploited a flaw in Chelsea’s system. He repeatedly had his facet minimize the ball again into areas behind the midfield, as a result of Jorginho struggled to maintain up with the tempo of the sport going backwards.
And, as questioned because the stat is, Arsenal ended the sport with 2.15 anticipated objectives to Chelsea’s 1.65. If solely they’d completed their possibilities off.
Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang missed a number of nice possibilities as Arsenal regarded slick in assault
4. When Kieran Trippier brought on the nation to collectively throw their pints within the air towards Croatia in the summertime, there was a component of confusion. The place, precisely, had this Bury Beckham come from?
It is easy to overlook that Christian Eriksen takes precedence for direct free-kicks at Tottenham. Trippier had only one shot at aim from a free-kick for Spurs final season, whereas Eriksen, scoring twice, had 16.
On Saturday, Trippier curled in a magnificence towards Fulham from his first direct free-kick of the season. Eriksen has already missed two. It might be the case that the much less vaunted Trippier is definitely the person for the job for Spurs.
Kieran Trippier scored his free-kick towards Fulham and will take over from Christian Eriksen
5. Anybody pondering Metropolis’s want might need been dulled after their document breaking season solely wants to have a look at how every particular person stepped up towards Huddersfield.
David Silva scored his first ever aim immediately from a free-kick in a prime 5 league. Sergio Aguero matched Robbie Fowler’s complete variety of hat-tricks in English soccer.
Ederson even received in on the enjoyable, offering the primary Premier League help for a goalkeeper at Metropolis.
There’s even sufficient want on the bench to maintain the squad ticking over. Will Riyad Mahrez, Raheem Sterling, Leroy Sane and their ilk push these chosen on Sunday to better heights? Completely.
Ederson was congratulated by his Fernandino (left) and John Stones after his help
6. Richarlison has regarded each bit his £44million price ticket in his first two video games. However Everton followers would do properly to carry off on the joy for some time longer.
The three objectives he has scored are greater than he scored in his final 31 Premier League video games for Watford. That speaks not for a sudden upturn in type however the enormous downward slide that got here after the beginning of final season.
He scored on his second look. He struck twice in two weeks earlier than the tip of September.
Then, barring objectives towards Everton and West Ham in November, he didn’t rating for the remainder of the season. Everton might be hoping for a long run impression.
Richarlison scored loads of objectives early final season however quickly declined over the marketing campaign
7. Gareth Southgate might be maintaining a tally of Callum Wilson after his beautiful slaloming aim towards West Ham – however he may wish to plan some video games in east London if he desires to get the most effective out of him.
Wilson hits peak type when he performs the Hammers, hitting 5 in his 5 matches towards them.
And, ludicrously, 18 per cent of the objectives he has scored within the Premier League have come towards West Ham, away, in August.
Manuel Pellegrini may also wish to adapt his type to his new environment. He solely misplaced 25 video games in English league soccer with Manchester Metropolis.
This most up-to-date loss means he has taken eight per cent of his defeats within the Premier League within the final week.
Callum Wilson might be on the England radar after a flying begin to the season with Bournemouth
8. Cardiff’s lack of real finishers may grow to be a difficulty for them over the course of the season. They’d the identical variety of pictures as Newcastle over the 90 minutes. However the place Newcastle hit six of their seven pictures on track, Cardiff managed only one.
Neil Warnock has already admitted large summer time signing Bobby Reid may not match the system. Kenneth Zohore lacks some high quality in entrance of aim, regardless of a rip-roaring season within the Championship final trip.
And that led to Cardiff failing to attain for 3 league video games in a row for the primary time since November 2015.
Neil Warnock’s Cardiff facet appear to be they’re in need of leading edge within the remaining third
9. An look at Previous Trafford is rarely the simplest technique to kick off your time within the Premier League. James Maddison settled from the off, simply essentially the most spectacular participant as Leicester have been unfortunate to lose.
He as soon as once more confirmed his significance to Claude Puel on Saturday, serving to them recuperate from a troublesome opening 30 minutes towards Wolves and sealing the victory along with his deflected second-half strike.
It’s all the time a threat bringing a participant up from the Championship, however Maddison is clearly a key ingredient of Puel’s pondering going ahead. On the very least, he has already alleviated a few of the strain on his new boss.
James Maddison has began the season on hearth and might be a key participant for Leicester
10. When the Pozzo household took over Watford, there have been issues at the place the membership was heading.
They imported expertise from sister golf equipment Udinese and Granada and sometimes had a mass of abroad gamers on the pitch.
It’s a constructive for English pursuits that when Andre Grey, Troy Deeney and Will Hughes scored towards Burnley, they’d three goalscorers from this nation in a single match for the primary time since December 2011, earlier than the Pozzos purchased the membership.
Hughes is a very attention-grabbing one.
Touted as probably the most thrilling skills within the nation in his youthful years, he struggled for health final season. Nonetheless solely 23, there’s nonetheless a hope he can attain the heights as soon as anticipated of him.
Troy Deeney (left), Will Hughes (centre) and Andre Grey all scored for Watford